[Catalist] Genetics: Leucism: eg: WHITE magpie

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 11:08:28 AEDT 2015

Greetings Science Colleagues,

Please forgive me for attaching a small photo of a white magpie photographed by Sean McGarry in East Victoria Park on Thursday 03122015.

The white magpie was accompanied by a ‘normal' coloured magpie that was nearby walking on the ground. The white magpie was not threatened by the ‘normal' magpie.

I then conducted www research to ascertain the frequency of occurrence of white magpies. The white magpie is very probably the white magpie photographed at Tomato Lake in 2013.

Have you or your students ever seen a white magpie? The white magpie photograph could be used as a motivational 'lead-in' to the interesting topic of Genetics/Biology in Years 10, 11 and 12.

WA Today URL: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/oneinamillion-white-magpie-spotted-in-belmont-20130325-2gpgj.html

Wikipedia URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism

Best Wishes,

Mike McGarry