[Catalist] teachers better than screens

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 15:30:15 AEDT 2015

Greetings Science Colleagues,

Ken Price a colleague from ECHALK posted this insightful reply (copied and pasted below) when I shared with him the BBC URL kindly provided to CATALIST by Igor.

Thanks Mike

Of some significance is that the US study looked at US Charter schools that ran online. Charter schools themselves have a questionable performance in some states - they are essentially schools handed over to private companies to run with public funds. Some are really good (i've visited some that were brilliant), but others... well...https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/12/troubled-ohio-charter-schools-have-become-a-joke-literally/ <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/12/troubled-ohio-charter-schools-have-become-a-joke-literally/>

It's not hard to imagine that some private companies could see online education as a cheap way to run their charter school. And if so, perhaps their goals are more about profitability than education. It's not valid to interpret their experience with online learning as a universal truth about that mode of learning.

kp