[Catalist] Gravity

Chris Creagh C.Creagh at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 17 14:15:27 AEST 2016

Hi Warren

I am happy for you to take the floor with the relativity stuff but I would like to comment on the bus going around the corner.

If the bus is turning left then the friction between tyres and road is what allows the truck to turn the corner and therefore the frictional force is what is supplying the centripetal force i.e. arrow should point to the left not the right. As long as the static frictional force (coefficient of friction x normal force) is greater than the required centripetal force (mv^2/r) the bus will stay on the road. If the frictional force cannot meet its obligations, the bus will not turn the corner and will skid in the direction of its velocity at the moment the frictional force failed to do its thing.

The bus tipping over is a story for another day.

All the best
Chris