[Catalist] International Workshop on Teaching and Learning Einsteinian Physics in the Era of Gravitational Astronomy

Elaine Horne ehorne54 at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 17 18:29:08 AEST 2016

Dear Science Teachers

Students need to know the beautiful, simple and satisfying concepts of general relativity because they are our best understanding of reality. We need to separate the underlying ideas from the tools. When it comes to solving problems, we all need to know which approximation to use. Architects and golfers can use flat earth models and Newtonian space-time, radiation oncologists must use relativistic equations,  and GPS designers and anyone interested in the new frontier of gravitational wave astronomy can only talk about it in the context of curved space and warped time.

Students as young as in Year 7 can engage with the whole conceptual understanding of general relativity…they just take it in their stride and they love it!

Now that Einstein’s gravitational waves have been discovered, the teaching of Einsteinian reality is no longer optional! Space ripples, time warps and quantum instruments can measure it.  Einsteinian physics is inside the phones that our students use! We owe it to our children to teach our best understanding of reality, and this is the world of Einsteinian concepts.  Internationally educators are creating exciting new learning materials that have already been proved to improve student attitudes to science, increase gender equity and boost STEM education.

The International Workshop on Teaching and Learning Einsteinian Physics in the Era of Gravitational Astronomy is a workshop for all teachers who teach science from year 7 upwards, as well as physics teachers.

On 28 November, this year, a special international workshop, supported by the Australian and Norwegian governments, will bring you the latest developments in education for Einsteinian physics. You can be in the forefront of Einsteinian learning and bring back to your school low cost resources and ideas that will motivate your students, and change your way of thinking.

Please see the enclosed flyer and the web page where you can register.

Spaces are limited so register now!

David Blair
Winthrop Professor
Director, Australian International Gravitational Research Centre (WA Government Centre of Excellence)

International Workshop on Teaching and Learning Einsteinian Physics in the Era of Gravitational Astronomy

Talks, workshops and discussions by science educators, physicists, and teachers developing innovative teaching and learning resources for school science education in the 21st Century

Coordinated by the ReleQuant and Einstein-First project teams in Norway and Australia

Location

 The Gravity Discovery Centre, Gingin Shire, Western Australia (1 hour from Perth Airport), last day at Future Science, Curtin University

Dates

28 November to 2 December - 2016

Teachers Workshops – 1 & 2 December 2016, recommended that Physics teachers choose 30 Nov as well.

Speakers include:

Martin Hendry (Glasgow): The curriculum for excellence

Ellen Henriksen (Oslo): Learning resources for modern physics

Ling-An Wu (Chinese Academy of Sciences): Quantum nature of light

Elizabeth Finkel (Cosmos Magazine): STEM education through journalism

David Blair  (Western Australia): Einsteinian physics: no longer optional

David Treagust (Curtin): Changing  paradigms

Magdalena Kersting (Oslo): Educational reconstruction of general relativity
Maria Vetleseter Bøe (Oslo): Students’ motivation and the implied student

Rolf Steier (Oslo): Conceptual understanding of spacetime

Thomas Frågåt (Oslo): Web based teachers guides

Hongbin Kim (Seoul): Teaching relativity

Grady Venville & Marina Pitts (Western Australia): Gravity ideas using Leaning Tower experiments

Warren Stannard (Western Australia): Climbing the time warp

Tejinder Kaur  (Western Australia): Activity-based learning of Einsteinian physics

Ute Kraus (Hildesheim): Visualization of Special Relativity

John Moschilla (Western Australia): Gold - Einstein’s metal.

Igor Bray (Curtin): Quantum scattering

Lyn Beazley, AO

Local Organizing Committee

Ron Burman, John Clarke, Jan Devlin, Elaine Horne (Chair), Warren Stannard, Tejinder Kaur, and John Moschilla, Yohanes Sudarmo Dua and Marjan Zadnik.

Scientific Advisory Committee

Maria Vetleseter Bøe, David Blair (Co-chair), Martin Hendry, Ellen Karoline Henriksen (Co-chair), Magdalena Kersting, David Treagust and Grady Venville.

Supported by The Australian Research Council and the Norwegian Research Council

 REGISTRATION: Click to register for Workshop: http://www.cvent.com/events/international-workshop-on-the-teaching-and-learning-of-einsteinian-physics-in-the-era-of-gravitation/agenda-4f6ed0abf23c4c999ea4fcf4dcf9fcb6.aspx

CONTACTS:     John Clarke:   john at stawa.net <mailto:john at stawa.net>, Elaine Horne: ehorne54 at iinet.net.au <mailto:ehorne54 at iinet.net.au>