[Catalist] Student Water Drink Bottles in Science?

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 18:44:24 AEDT 2016

Greetings Science Colleagues,

Relevant URL: http://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/topics/laboratory <http://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/topics/laboratory>
7 General safety rules

7.1 Children are not permitted in laboratories.

7.2 Be aware of emergency procedures, location of emergency showers/eyewashes and emergency evacuation assembly locations.

7.3 Appropriate personal protective clothing must be worn at all times in laboratories and comply with instructions to students. (Refer also to Section 8 of this Code.)

7.4 Closed-in footwear at all times. To be of a type which will afford protection of feet from corrosive or hot liquids, falling objects and other potential sources of injury. Bare feet, thongs, sandals are prohibited. Also see Foot Protection on the Personal protective equipment guidelines <http://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/topics/physical/protective-equipment> webpage.

7.5 Fasten loose clothing and tie back long hair. When using machinery, remove jewellery and rings. The possibility exists for such items to be caught in moving parts.

7.6 It is prohibited to eat, drink and apply cosmetics in laboratories.

7.7 Ipods and similar devices which could cause distraction or become contaminated during laboratory operations should be left outside the laboratory. Mobile phones should be used only for emergency contact while undertaking laboratory procedures.

7.8 Do not store food and/or drink in laboratory refrigerators or laboratory storage units. The exception is if the food and drink are specifically for research or teaching, then these items must be clearly labelled as research or teaching items.

7.9 Do not run or engage in reckless behaviour in or near laboratories.

7.10 Cover all open wounds when handling chemicals, animals and other biological material. Bandaids are available in the First Aid boxes.

7.11 Wash hands and remove laboratory coats after completion of experimental work and before leaving the laboratory.

7.12 Use disinfectants after handling suspected infectious materials.

7.13 Do not pipette by mouth. Use mechanical pipetting devices instead.

7.14 Avoid lifting heavy objects. Use lifting devices and trolleys where appropriate. Where lifting is unavoidable, seek assistance if required (share the load).

7.15 Do not use any machines, equipment or laboratory apparatus without prior instruction/training by the supervisor or technical staff on safe work procedures and practices. Whilst using any equipment you must adhere to the standard operating procedure.

7.16 Observe safety signs at all times

I absolutely agree with Lyndon and Leon: re: Science Laboratory Rules.

All science teachers should be implementing and adhering to "best-practice" laboratory safety rules [Like WA University] within our primary and secondary school science laboratories.

Best Wishes,

Mike McGarry