[Catalist] T – Cell Therapy

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 11:20:39 AEDT 2016

RE: T – Cell Therapy

Greetings Science Colleagues,

“The immune system is a system of many biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease.”

URL 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_system <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_system>
In January 2001, after I suffered anaphylactic shock from naturally injected hymenoptera (bee) venom, my GP loaned me his book on Immunology.

I had difficulty in trying to understand the functioning of the human immune system. I now fully appreciate the restricted (or no specific) reference to the human immune system in the WACE ATAR Year 11 and 12 Biology and Human Biology courses.

URL 2: http://wace1516.scsa.wa.edu.au/syllabus-and-support-materials/science <http://wace1516.scsa.wa.edu.au/syllabus-and-support-materials/science>
“Scientists finds ways of commandeering the natural killing capacity of T-cells to identify, memorise and attack tumour cells.”

URL 3: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/t-cell-therapy-extraordinary-results-lead-to-paradigm-shift-in-cancer-treatment-a6875961.html <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/t-cell-therapy-extraordinary-results-lead-to-paradigm-shift-in-cancer-treatment-a6875961.html>
URL 4: https://www.lls.org/treatment/types-of-treatment/immunotherapy/chimeric-antigen-receptor-car-t-cell-therapy <https://www.lls.org/treatment/types-of-treatment/immunotherapy/chimeric-antigen-receptor-car-t-cell-therapy>
URL 5: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-02/fhcr-srf020516.php <http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-02/fhcr-srf020516.php>
URL 6: https://www.fredhutch.org/en.html <https://www.fredhutch.org/en.html>
URL 7: https://www.fredhutch.org/en/diseases/featured-researchers/riddell-stanley.html <https://www.fredhutch.org/en/diseases/featured-researchers/riddell-stanley.html>
Question: How much class contact time is available to science teachers in Years 11 and 12 to promote Science as a Human Endeavour by enriching student learning by providing necessary class contact time to discuss current breakthroughs in Science?

Best Wishes,

Mike McGarry