[Catalist] Nanotechnology support for year 11 - colloidal gold

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Sun Jan 10 15:08:37 AEDT 2016

Greetings to one and all. Hope you have had a restful holiday.
One weakness of the Nanotechnology section of Year 11 Chemistry is that
it is very weak on lab components.
To help support this aspect of the course, I have designed and
researched a cheap practical demonstrating colloidal gold and some of
its properties. There is a nice canned prelab of calculations, and the
whole thing should take 25 to 30 minutes of class time to perform (10
minutes to complete the doing part of the actual experiment). The key
advantage of this lab is that I have found a cheap source of reagents
for it, and the reagent cost per class group to perform is something
like $1.60 to $2. I was proud of that. It is robust, works great in my
shed, and a rich learning experience (the colours are divine)!

If you would like a copy of this, please email me off list. (It is
against policy to send attachments, I'm afraid, and I don't want to
unintentionally annoy any non-chemists on our list.

Cheers,
Leon