[Catalist] Split classes Year 9/10

MELVILLE Edward [Kojonup District High School] edward.melville at education.wa.edu.au
Mon Jan 25 18:11:50 AEDT 2016

Hello Science Teachers,

I have been given a split Year 9/10 class for 2016. I was wondering how best to go about teaching this. My ideas so far include:

a) Teaching two differentiated groups (basically a high and low group split).

b) Teaching the Year 9 curriculum one week and the Year 10 curriculum the next week. This is my least preferred option.

c) Teaching them separately and giving one year group well structured work while I teach the other.

I am still only in my second year of teaching and as I work in a small District High School I am again the Head Of Department. I have very little guidance with this type of planning and structuring and only my first year of teaching to fall back on. Any ideas would or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Edward Melville.