[Catalist] FW: Supervision of UWA pre-service teachers 2016

John Clarke john at stawa.net
Thu Mar 24 13:12:50 AEDT 2016

Hi All,

UWA have had a few responses around prac places in schools from the last call for help that we made. But they still have lots more to place - most  suitable for retired or part-time teachers. Details in the email from Rachel below.

Regards,

John

Hi

Would you be interested in some part-time work at UWA in June and August/September supervising science students on professional practice. Details are below. If interested please contact Rachel Wicking (Rachel.wicking at uwa.edu.au<mailto:Rachel.wicking at uwa.edu.au>)

Professional Practice Dates 2016

Course

Semester I

Dates

Semester II

Dates

Graduate Diploma in Education

EDUC5481
Professional Practice I

5 Wednesdays: 27 April, 4 May, 11 May, 18 May & 25 May
 5 week block:
30 May to 1 July

Professional
Practice II

6 week block

15 August to 23 September

Master Of Teaching (Secondary)
Year 1

EDUC5510
Professional Practice A
(Part 1)

5 Wednesdays: 27 April, 4 May, 11 May, 18 May & 25 May
3 week block
30 May to 17 June

Professional
Practice A
(Part 2)

3 week block
15 August to 2 September

Master Of Teaching (Secondary)
Year 2

EDUC5500
Professional Practice B

5 Wednesdays: 27 April, 4 May, 11 May, 18 May & 19 May6 week block
23 May to 1 July

Interventions for Learning

2 week block
22 Aug - 2 September

A brief overview of what is involved (for new supervisors):
The time per visit varies according to the length of the lesson, but with a strong student it is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours. We pay supervisors $90 per visit. Most of our supervisors participate because they enjoy helping  pre-service teachers and can see what a difference their advice makes over the duration of the prac. They also enjoy visiting different schools. There is a reasonable travel allowance and we try to allocate to you strong students, schools with more than 1 student placement, and students close to your home to minimise the travelling and time commitment.

During the lesson, notes are made by supervisors on a carbon pad provided by the GSE. Feedback is shared with your student following the lesson. After the lesson supervisors are required to complete a report form. It is relatively easy to supervise several students over the block periods and we will be most grateful for your assistance.

Other information
A meeting (approximately one hour) for supervisors in the secondary programs will occur on Tuesday 10th May at 3.30pm to explain the supervision process in more detail. We will outline university standards and expectations and provide you with a pack of information about the pre-service teachers allocated to you at this time.

If you are keen to be involved and are available during the the practicum dates, please send me a return email - you may like to indicate the number of students you would be happy to supervise. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this with me further, please do not hesitate to give me a call or return email.

In your return email, please confirm your contact details (address, telephone and email). Please note, UWA Supervisors are required to have a Working with Children card, if you do not have a card and are keen to undertake supervision, please call me to discuss how you can do this.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,

Rachel

Rachel Wicking

Professional Practice and Partnerships Coordinator (Secondary)

Faculty o

f Education  *

M428, 35 Stirling Hwy WA 6009 Australia

+61 8 6488 1461

* E

rachel.wicking at uwa.edu.au<mailto:rachel.wicking at uwa.edu.au>

[Description: http://static.weboffice.uwa.edu.au/visualid/graphics/email/uwa-crest-sig.gif]<http://www.uwa.edu.au/university-campaigns-resources/emailsig-resources/uwa-logo/>

[Description: http://static.weboffice.uwa.edu.au/visualid/graphics/email/esig-fb.gif]<http://www.uwa.edu.au/university-campaigns-resources/emailsig-resources/facebook>

[Description: http://static.weboffice.uwa.edu.au/visualid/graphics/email/esig-larry.gif]<http://www.uwa.edu.au/university-campaigns-resources/emailsig-resources/twitter>

[Description: http://static.weboffice.uwa.edu.au/visualid/graphics/email/esig-youtube.gif]<http://www.uwa.edu.au/university-campaigns-resources/emailsig-resources/youtube>

Leading the Way in Education for 100 Years
Celebrating our Centenary
The Faculty of Education