[Catalist] Titrations

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Sun May 1 15:07:39 AEST 2016

Hi Jackie.
Acid is always in burette, unless unavoidable. This is because the
silicon-oxygen bonds in glass are labile to OH- ions. Over time, glass
is etched by OH-. As the volume accuracy of the burette is super
important, convention has it to keep the base in the conical flask.
(BTW, this is why when you are cutting glass tube, you spit on it after
scoring it. The pH of your saliva (7.8) is alkaline enough to
significantly weaken the newly-exposed Si-O bonds (before they reform
again), and make the tube crack along the score mark.

The standard solution in the burette  is a combination of convention and
not wanting poorly defined, (corrosive, prone to form precipitates)
substances in your burette. Think "respect the burette" !
Note that the primary standard is not always in the burette, in a back
titration, you react the standard with the sample in the conical flask,
and then titrate with a secondary standard.