[Catalist] titrations calcs and some burning questions

Mat Winter Mat.Winter at lawley.wa.edu.au
Sun May 1 22:12:32 AEST 2016

Hi everyone.

Just wondering, it is not explicitly stated in the new syllabus, but one of the common questions the students are asking when tutoring across WA is:

“Do we need to know how to do Redox Titrations calculations for the new ATAR course?”

Based on the feedback from students who are attending revision classes, some schools are still teaching Redox Titrations assuming it is still examinable content.

Also, a common question is:

How much of the WACE exam will focus on the Science as a Human Endeavour (SHE) outcome? e.g. theories like the Davy Theory of acids and bases.

I notice the sample ATAR exam has some focus on random vs systematic errors, but has no allocation of marks for percentage and absolute error in experiments.

Again another question the students are asking, how much focus should we place on Error Analysis in calculating percentage error in Titrations calculations and will this feature in the end of year examination?

Thanks to others for your commentary on burettes, quite interesting perspectives.

Have a good one.

Regards

Mat Winter
A/ Program Coordinator/ Year 10-11 Senior School Coordinator
Mount Lawley SHS