[Catalist] Possible effect of Saliva when cutting Glass Tubing?

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Mon May 2 20:09:00 AEST 2016

Hi Mike.
I don't think that you can view it that simply.
To cut glass, you need to initiate a crack. I think the saliva/water
lessens the energy needed to start that process off.
Once you have a crack, the pressure that you supply causes the ionic
materials in the glass (all the carbonates, borates etc) to mis-align
and break by coulombic repulsion. (Pure SiO2 is a pig to work with, you
need a special hydrogen flame that is ferally high temperature
(technical term that)).
So as long as you have enough play in the crack to be able to move it
enough to make the +ve ions in the lattice shift enough so that they can
be pushed against each other, you can break the glass. It is better to
think of it as a catalyst rather than a source of energy.

What I love about the whole process is the way it confronts some
conceptions about glass. 1) that it is an ionic mixture. (remember that
lovely old physics demo where you put a wire around either end of a rod
an heat it until it passes enough current to light a light bulb. Go
check out Basim Shakashiri's books, vol 2 I think from memory, but I may
be wrong).

2) we never deal properly with those network covalent substances. We
teach that they go on and on and on (like me now but more!). Our sensory
evidence tells us they are finite. So what happens at the edges? Lots
and lots of diamonds terminate in -H and -OH. Every time there is an
earthquake, there are whole ecosystems of slowly growing Archaea that
feast on the H2 released when the Si-O-Si bonds cleave and then
hydrolyse water.

Others later, if time permits.

Cheers,