[Catalist] "Do you even lift? Why lifting weights is more important for your health than you think"

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:15:29 AEST 2016

Greetings Science Colleagues,

"Muscle strengthening activity usually includes exercise using weight machines, exercise bands, hand-held weights, or own body weight (such as push-ups or sit-ups).”

URL 1: http://theconversation.com/do-you-even-lift-why-lifting-weights-is-more-important-for-your-health-than-you-think-58635 <http://theconversation.com/do-you-even-lift-why-lifting-weights-is-more-important-for-your-health-than-you-think-58635>

"(The) … addition of muscle strengthening activity into the physical activity recommendations is due to emerging scientific evidence linking this type of activity to reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, weight gain, physical disability, heart disease, poor musculoskeletal and mentalhealth and premature death.”

As a secondary science teacher, I diagnosed, (confirmed by my GP), Type 2 diabetes at 55, now 72 on 23052016; I treat my diabetes 2 through medication, diet, and exercise every day at the Tomato Lake Reserve in Kewdale, in the City of Belmont.

Tomato Lake is a wonderful environment for Flora and Fauna, (especially the water-birds), and us humans. The history of Tomato Lake is most interesting. [Please note that URL 2 downloads very slowly.]

URL 2: http://www.belmont.wa.gov.au/CouncillorPortal/CouncillorMinuteAndMeeting/Minutes%20and%20Agendas%20Documents/Tabled%20Attachment%201%20-%20Item%2010.3%20refers%20Local%20History%20Publication%20Landmarks.pdf <http://www.belmont.wa.gov.au/CouncillorPortal/CouncillorMinuteAndMeeting/Minutes%20and%20Agendas%20Documents/Tabled%20Attachment%201%20-%20Item%2010.3%20refers%20Local%20History%20Publication%20Landmarks.pdf>

Of interest to the human ‘walkers' around Tomato Lake was observing the resident Swan family of Father swan and Mother swan and protective care she provided to her three young cygnets. Sadly the 3 cygnets have not been seen for  ~ 10 days.

I suspect 'foul play' as the 3 young cygnets (still with downy feathers) could not fly away with their parents. Who has snatched the young cygnets? Please forgive my attachment of a small-sized photo of the Swan family missing from Tomato Lake.

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Mike McGarry

PS: Photo taken with my iPhone 5s.