[Catalist] Moodle: a tale of tribalism and lost opportunities

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Fri Nov 4 23:42:27 AEDT 2016

Hi to all. Around about 2000, I became aware of an open source LMS
called Moodle, that was developed by Martin Dougiamas, who was then
doing his PhD at Curtin University. It was already more capable that the
then industry standard WebCT, which I was then employed to administer
for Murdoch University. In addition, Moodle had a very open
architecture, that was proven, scalable, secure and well understood by
the IT community. These were exciting times: WA was acknowledged as the
world centre of pedogogical excellence in computer-delivered
instruction, and there was start of a hub of expertise, and the promise
of many years of lucrative contracts and consulting. You would call it a
centre of STEM excellence, if it happened now.

Moodle started to hit the classrooms. In the teaching workplace, which
so often consists of workhorses and clothes horses (the classroom vs the
admin) , a number of the slightly grumpy, over worked but technically
competent teachers ("work horses) started to set up these Moodle
servers, and see what they could do. And they could do lots - from the
lame, almost Facebook style of teacher-collation of resources that
Connect and Edmodo users are familiar with, to intelligent, adaptive
lesson sequences that altered the order of instruction according to the
particular set of misconceptions that a learner had. Yep, I know, I
wrote a few in 2010 - the potential was fantastic. The future looked rosy.

Then a bit of a backlash set in. Grumpy old teachers need a certain
degree of finesse in managing. Additionally, they don't bully well, and
it is very hard for a school administration to manage. It is the old
leadership/teamwork problem: you need to be a bit more inspirational
than the typical sort of "Judas sheep leadership" in a polyester suit
that is sometimes held up as leadership in schools. Eventually, Moodle
was all but banned from schools, and after a rumoured expenditure of in
excess of $25 000 000 on Connect, it has all but disappeared from the
State School system.

Moodle, however, hasn't disappeared from the world stage - far from it.
The General Certificate of Brewing that I was awarded in 2006 was
taught, distance, from London, on a Moodle server. So are a large number
of college courses. Moodle analytics lead the field, with tools and
dashboards to analyse the teaching cycle from lesson plans to student
misconceptions to student learning outcomes. It is just that the large
number of good consultants aren't based here, so much. I reckon, for a
couple of million or less, a gold-edged customised system for the ED
(hey Numbat, that does not stand for erectile disfunction!) department
could have been had. The open source codebase would have meant that it
was cheaper to maintain, and the cash flow would have created an
industry in WA. Such an industry always will over-produce people - they
form a talent base that could have gone onto other things, innovating
and creating new opportunities in this state.

Instead, what do we have? We have a closed Connect system, that is
dependent on Oracle databases, and a continual need to update them,
resulting in an elevated cost of ownership. (Gee, I hope that someone at
least got crayfish at that sales lunch!). We send the profits from most
of that $25 million overseas, and that suppresses growth of endemic
talent. Finally, we have an inferior product, which can only evolve at
great cost, and which has a much more limited range of capabilities.

We do have a contented management, happy that there aren't all these
rebel Moodle servers around the place, and pleased to not have to tread
lightly around the prima donna-ish self-made administrators. It is just
that, hardly anyone here can code well, computer literacy is very low
(although computer consumerism and computer dependency is high).

I raise all of this because I would like to draw your attention to the
current STEM situation. In particular, please consider these three points:

1) To what extent is STEM a political solution, and to what extent is it
a technical solution?

2) How do you stop the clothes horses from suppressing the work horses,
and in doing destroying the breadth of the talent base. (Hint: who is
getting funding).

3) How many engineers, geologists, and scientists  have you met on
teaching prac recently? Is it ethical to create a workforce of the same,
if no jobs for them exist, or if to supply the jobs that do exist, you
have to produce a multi-fold excess of people. (We call such people
"unemployed", but only after they have a 50K HECS debt and have studied
for 5 years!).

I certainly hope that if another Moodle falls into the lap of this
state, that it is not squandered like last time! Do you think our
redirection of focus onto STEM might deliver one?