[Catalist] Average emf induced in a coil formulae

P. de Lacey p.delacey at physics.org
Sat Sep 17 15:30:06 AEST 2016

Hi Elizabeth,
If students are using the formula Emf(av) = 4NABf they need to
understand clearly what they are calculating and how it differs from
Emf(rms) or Emf(max)
The formula Emf(av) = 4NABf gives the average e.m.f. of a
fully-rectified sine wave. (This is not the same as Emf(rms).)
Its relationship to Emf(max) is Emf(max)= (pi/2)Emf(av), which reduces
to the formula Emf(max) = NAB2(pi)f.
  Average voltage is not a useful value when dealing with (sinusoidal)
a.c. because the average value over a full cycle is zero. Peak and
r.m.s. values are more useful, so students should, preferably, use these.
Best regards,
Peter de Lacey