[Catalist] Lottery west BioDiscovery Centre presents GENETIC TESTING 3 DAY WORKSHOP TERM 4 2017

Pauline Charman pauline.charman at perkins.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 1 14:13:29 AEST 2017

Dear Head of Science/STEM Coordinator

A GREAT STEM OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUR YR 10 students (and teachers) in TERM 4!   4 DATES AVAILABLE !  See flyer for full program/booking information.

“Genetic Testing – Our Future Choices” is a 3 day workshop that provides a totally hands on laboratory investigation of the science of testing for recessive genetic diseases.

WHO IS THIS BEST SUITED FOR?
Please consider this opportunity for your high achieving Yr 10 students who perhaps have chosen the physical science pathway for Yr 11/12.  Whilst this may initially seem an unusual course for them to do, the workshop will expose them to higher level molecular biology concepts which they may otherwise miss if not engaged in senior life science subjects in upper school.

With a focus on more than just the ‘science education’ outcomes, this workshop aims to have students become ‘completely informed’ about the process of genetic testing and preconception carrier screening which may well enable them to make informed choices in their future adult lives.

IS IT JUST FOR YR 10’S?
NO – we recommend that your any of your high achieving students with an aptitude or keen interest in science would love this opportunity.  Year 11 students or those hoping to go into medicine are encouraged to enroll.

CAN TEACHERS DO THE COURSE?
YES – we will reserve 4 spots in each workshop for interested teachers.  This workshop is particularly useful for those teachers without a strong molecular biology background as it starts with the basics and builds in complexity.  However, please note these workshops have been designed to obtain data about student opinions, knowledge and attitudes surrounding genetic testing before and after the course so their involvement is our primary objective.

WHAT IS THE PhD PROJECT CONNECTED TO THIS WORKSHOP ABOUT?

Project title: Understanding of genetic screening for inherited genetic diseases.

Name of Researchers: Professor Nigel Laing (Chief Investigator), Professor Vaille Dawson, Professor Elizabeth Geelhoed, Dr. Gina Ravenscroft, Ms. Pauline Charman, Ms. Amanda Samanek, Ms. Denise Howting and Mr. Royston Ong (PhD Student).

This research seeks to explore students’ understanding and attitudes about identifying recessive mutations in healthy individuals before they have children, also known as preconception carrier screening. A secondary aim is to determine whether students’ genetic knowledge influences the ability of an individual to make an “informed decision”.

Be quick – 20 places available for each workshop !

Best wishes
Pauline Charman
Community Education Manager
Lotterywest BioDiscovery Centre
Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research
www.biodiscovery.org.au<http://www.biodiscovery.org.au>
education-perkins at uwa.edu.au<mailto:education-perkins at uwa.edu.au>