[Catalist] Physical Cosmology: “The Beginning and End of the Universe”

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 18:01:51 AEST 2017

Greetings Science Colleagues,

I have recently watched on NETFLIX: “The Beginning and End of the Universe”: URL: https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80145514 <https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80145514>. I found Episode 1: “The Beginning” more understandable than Episode 2: “The End” because Episode 2 delves into the realms of dark matter and dark energy.

Wikipedia URL 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beginning_and_End_of_the_Universe <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beginning_and_End_of_the_Universe> provides a good review to the presenter of this excellent series, Jim Al-Khalili: URL 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Al-Khalili <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Al-Khalili>. Professor Al-Khalili’s home page URL: http://www.jimal-khalili.com <http://www.jimal-khalili.com/>.

Episode 1 illustrates an aspect of Science as a Human Endeavour by highlighting the ‘dismissive’ treatment by Albert Einstein of the astronomical idea of Georges Lemaître: URL 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lemaître <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%94tre>. Colleagues, please also note that: “He, Georges Lemaître, first proposed the theory of the expansion of the universe, widely misattributed to Edwin Hubble.”

In my professional opinion, “The Beginning and End of the Universe” Episodes 1 and 2 could be suitable for viewing by Year 10 science students towards the end of their study of my Australian Curriculum interactive PDF module on “Physical Cosmology” available from the ASTA MOODLE URL: http://moodle.asta.edu.au <http://moodle.asta.edu.au/>?

“Physical Foundations of Cosmology” Resource URL:

http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~george/ay21/readings/Mukhanov_PhysFoundCosm.pdf <http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~george/ay21/readings/Mukhanov_PhysFoundCosm.pdf>
Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry