[Catalist] The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 21:06:10 AEDT 2017

Greetings Science Colleagues,

I recently watched on NETFLIX the excellent series: “The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries” presented by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. He asks and answers very intriguing questions like, for example: Would a ‘relaxed’ metal spring have more or less mass than the mass of a ‘compressed’ spring or a ‘stretched’ spring? [My Question]

URL1: http://www.thegreatcourses.com.au/courses/the-inexplicable-universe-unsolved-mysteries.html <http://www.thegreatcourses.com.au/courses/the-inexplicable-universe-unsolved-mysteries.html>
To correctly answer the Question requires a “thought experiment” involving physics concepts of work and energy and their relation to each other and the equivalence of mass and energy [E = mc2].

After watching the series, I pondered on the success or otherwise of the Einstein First Project in introducing the ideas of A Einstein much earlier in school Physics courses.

URL 2: http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201407016797/awards-and-prizes/green-light-revolutionary-new-science-curriculum <http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201407016797/awards-and-prizes/green-light-revolutionary-new-science-curriculum>
URL 3: http://www.phdseek.com/phds/956/einstein-first-researching-the-benefits-and-feasibility.html <http://www.phdseek.com/phds/956/einstein-first-researching-the-benefits-and-feasibility.html>
URL 4: http://theconversation.com/why-dont-we-teach-einsteins-theories-in-school-69991 <http://theconversation.com/why-dont-we-teach-einsteins-theories-in-school-69991>
I revisited these excellent UNSW webpages:

URL 5: http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/ <http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/>
URL 6: http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/quiz.htm <http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/quiz.htm>
I am very pleased to report that the Flash Animations ‘work’ on my MacBook Pro.

Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry

PS: I am an enthusiastic supporter of the Einstein First Project.