[Catalist] How big is the (observable) universe?

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 05:55:24 AEST 2017

Greetings Science Colleagues,

I have just read the COSMOS magazine article: “How big is the universe?”

URL 1: CM: https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/how-big-is-the-universe <https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/how-big-is-the-universe>
In the introduction to his COSMOS magazine article, perhaps author Cathal O’Connell could have more clearly distinguished the observable universe from the entire Universe?

URL 2: WIKIPEDIA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe>
URL 3: WIKIPEDIA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe>
In support of my question given above, the observable universe does have a centre and an edge, whereas the Universe does not have a centre nor an edge.

In my teaching of astronomy to my Year 10 science students, I found these websites useful in identifying some common ‘misconceptions’ in Astronomy.

URL 4: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html <http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html>
URL 5: https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/seuforum/faq.htm <https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/seuforum/faq.htm>
URL 6: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/the-universe/cosmology-and-the-big-bang <http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/the-universe/cosmology-and-the-big-bang>
My Australian Science Year 10 “Physical Cosmology” interactive PDF curriculum module can be downloaded from my “Earth and Space Sciences” page on ASTA’s learning portal ASTA MOODLE URL 7: http://moodle.asta.edu.au <http://moodle.asta.edu.au/> [“Middle Years Science” Icon].

I have the professional stance that all science teachers should try to teach and assess Higher Order Thinking skills (HOTS) to/of ALL students, including ‘low achieving’ students by providing the required amount of instructional scaffolding to extend their zones of proximal development (ZPD).

URL 8: WIKIPEDIA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructional_scaffolding <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructional_scaffolding>
URL 9: WIKIPEDIA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_proximal_development <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_proximal_development>
Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry