[Catalist] For Star Trek Fans: The Truth is in the Stars: A Panel on Science and Creativity

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 18:02:32 AEST 2017

Greetings Science Colleagues,

“The Perimeter Institute (held) a live panel discussion webcast exploring the influence of Star Trek on society, science and research (on) Wednesday, June 14.”

COSMOS M URL: https://cosmosmagazine.com/society/the-truth-is-in-the-stars <https://cosmosmagazine.com/society/the-truth-is-in-the-stars>
“There's no need to worry if you (did not) make the live stream. The panel discussion will be recorded and available for playback on the Perimeter Institute YouTube page.” PI URL 1: https://www.youtube.com/user/PIOutreach

“Perimeter Institute (PI) is a leading centre for scientific research, training and educational outreach in foundational theoretical physics. Founded in 1999 in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, its mission is to advance our understanding of the universe at the most fundamental level, stimulating the breakthroughs that could transform our future. Perimeter also trains the next generation of physicists through innovative programs, and shares the excitement and wonder of science with students, teachers and the general public.”

PI URL 2: https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca <https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/>
PI URL 3: https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/training/about-psi <https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/training/about-psi>

WIKIPEDIA URL 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek>

Colleagues, I remember an original Star Trek TV episode in which the ‘human’ inhabitants on one planet had one half of their faces phenotypically painted white, and the other half of their faces painted black. The ‘human’ inhabitants on a neighbouring planet, within rocket range, had the halves of their faces phenotypically painted in reverse order to the ‘human’ inhabitants on the first planet. The planetary populations were engaged in constant warfare using rockets carrying neutron-bomb warheads. [As I recall from my L-T memory.]

I also recall a satirical sketch by Irish comedian Dave Allen? showing ‘Whites’ crossing a Zebra-crossing in apartheid South Africa pre Nelson Mandela: South African President (1994 to 1999.)

WIKIPEDIA URL 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Allen_(comedian <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Allen_(comedian>)
WIKIPEDIA URL 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela>

NOBEL PRIZE URL: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1993/mandela-bio.html <http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1993/mandela-bio.html>

Best Wishes,