[Catalist] Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles are very common Educational Neuromyths

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 12:32:15 AEST 2017

Greetings Science Colleagues,

The so-called Theory of Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles are persistent Educational Neuromyths that are still being perpetuated by Snake-Oil websites, which fraudulently collect money from gullible and educationally naïve school administrators who have wasted many millions on related, professional development and classroom resources. To prove my point, colleagues may like to conduct Google searches for “learning styles” and “multiple intelligences”?

Neuromyths are common misconceptions about brain mechanisms that are not based on empirical evidence provided by rigorous, neuro-scientific research. Neuromyths usually arise from misunderstanding or a misreading and, in some cases, a deliberate perversion of neuro-scientific evidence by commercial sellers of ‘unproven’, “brain-based learning” programs that are frequently purchased by ‘neuroscience-naïve’ educators and parents.

Websites that debunk the theory of multiple intelligences and learning styles:

URL 1: https://www.teachermagazine.com.au/article/tackling-the-learning-styles-myth <https://www.teachermagazine.com.au/article/tackling-the-learning-styles-myth>
URL 2: http://publications.ieu.asn.au/ie-2/editorial/different-learning-styles-are-myth <http://publications.ieu.asn.au/ie-2/editorial/different-learning-styles-are-myth>
URL 3: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/mar/13/teachers-neuromyth-learning-styles-scientists-neuroscience-education <https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/mar/13/teachers-neuromyth-learning-styles-scientists-neuroscience-education>
URL 4: http://theconversation.com/students-are-not-hard-wired-to-learn-in-different-ways-we-need-to-stop-using-unproven-harmful-methods-63715 <http://theconversation.com/students-are-not-hard-wired-to-learn-in-different-ways-we-need-to-stop-using-unproven-harmful-methods-63715>
URL 5: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/unique-everybody-else/201311/the-illusory-theory-multiple-intelligences <https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/unique-everybody-else/201311/the-illusory-theory-multiple-intelligences>
HOW CHILDREN LEARN!

This NAP website to be studied by ALL primary/secondary/tertiary educators.

“It was once commonly thought that infants lack the ability to form complex ideas.” “It is now known that very young children are competent, active agents of their own conceptual development.”

NAP URL: https://www.nap.edu/read/9853/chapter/7 <https://www.nap.edu/read/9853/chapter/7> [Compulsory Reading]

CORNELL URL: http://www.human.cornell.edu/hd/outreach-extension/upload/Learning-about-how-children-learn-Kushnir.pdf <http://www.human.cornell.edu/hd/outreach-extension/upload/Learning-about-how-children-learn-Kushnir.pdf>
In ~Year 2000, after I read the expanded version of How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School, I was motivated to develop my interactive PDF Australian Science (Year Levels 7 to 10) curriculum modules that are designed to actively engage students in science conceptual reconstruction (change) learning. My Australian Science Years 7 to 10 curriculum course resources can be free downloaded from ASTA’s online learning portal URL: http://moodle.asta.edu.au <http://moodle.asta.edu.au/> [“Middle Years Science” Icon].

Colleagues please contemplate the educational ramifications of this Statement: “It is now known that very young children are competent, active agents of their own conceptual development.” I recommend that colleagues could then study the ‘work’ of the EINSTEIN FIRST Project. Research Gate URL: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Einstein-First-bringing-Einstien-to-the-class-room?openDialog=followers <https://www.researchgate.net/project/Einstein-First-bringing-Einstien-to-the-class-room?openDialog=followers> and, URL: http://theconversation.com/why-dont-we-teach-einsteins-theories-in-school-69991 <http://theconversation.com/why-dont-we-teach-einsteins-theories-in-school-69991>.

Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry