[Catalist] Buffers Chemistry Query

Andy Gray mailbrain at gmail.com
Thu May 25 19:17:34 AEST 2017

my apologies for wading into the debate so late:

this is the kind of question that trips kids (and adults :) up pretty
easily as we're conditioned to neutralize the H3O+ with the OH-. Obviously
it does, but as you pointed out, there is bugger all there (~1:4000 at the
very most) so the most likely reaction will be with H2PO4-.

they get it wrong in essential chem - but tell the kids to correct it if
they want to increase it's gumtree value :)

jim clark deals with it (and quantitative buffer stuff) pretty well here
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/buffers.html

i like to teach the kids how to perform the calcs (and think there way
through these type of questions) even though they're not likely to be in
the exam - it can make a buffer investigation feel a little more
challenging.

cheers
andy