[Catalist] An interesting read...

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Thu Nov 16 00:35:50 AEDT 2017

Yes,  interesting.
In WA, from data that I have been seen, we're not seeing this. Chemistry
seems to be maintaining or increasing enrolments, and I am not aware of
teaching shortages. Stress and change are big factors that make all
science teaching hard, and the tendency to have "data driven" decisions
being made by people who have little skill or training in such subjects
is worrying. I am not referring to my current school on this, but
nowhere in these "ooh shiny" longitudinal data displaying tools or pd
sessions is there any acknowledgement of the uncertainty associated with
data, or the need for "internal standards" or controls. We live in
dangerous times !

When the administrations of many schools are appointed on the basis of
the Peter principle (rise to the level of your inability - a 1970s
public service concept, particularly in the UK), it is hard to expect
more. Note the representation of D&T and phys ed among the deputy and
above layer- this is because one of the best attributes to have when
applying for a job is past experience, and no-one seconds the HOLA of
maths, or science to the temporary deputy position caused by illness as
those are large, busy and complex departments and doing so will
potentially kill the ATAR of the current crop of 12s, with all the
associated parental howls ! By the way, guess which departments are
likely to have numerate, data-savy people in them, with technical
understanding of statistics? Yup!

So in summary here, chem is good, science not bad, but this data-focus
(junk data) misapplied has the potential to do some savage damage to our
systems, and degrade the pleasure and quality of teaching.

Thanks for the article, it seems to be different in the uk than here.

Cheers,
Leon