[Catalist] Equilibrium and temperature

Phil Brown pbrown at stgeorges.wa.edu.au
Fri Nov 24 15:37:33 AEDT 2017

Hi Andrew,

If you picture a potential energy diagram, the activation energy will always be higher for the endothermic reaction than it will be for the exothermic reaction. This one I prepared earlier shows an Ea of 50 kJ/mol for the forward exothermic reaction and 150 kJ/mol for the reverse endothermic reaction:

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D36520.FF2FFC10]

This means that the increase in temperature, while it will increase the rates of both reactions, it will have a greater effect on the rate of the endothermic reaction as it is more reliant on heat (it requires more ‘heat’ than the exothermic reaction).

I always try and teach my students to write ‘+ HEAT’ on the right-hand side of the equation for an exothermic reaction and the left-hand side for an endothermic reaction. This allows them to treat HEAT as a ‘substance’ in the equation. Although obviously this is not correct from a physics point of view, it makes it easier to visualise which reaction will be favoured by the temperature change.

Hope that helps a bit.

Phil

Phil Brown
Science Teacher
St George’s Anglican Grammar School
St George’s Anglican Grammar School
A school of the Anglican Schools Commission (Inc.)
50 William St, PERTH WA 6000
p: Locked Bag 15, Cloisters Square, PERTH WA 6850
t:+61 8 9312 0800 | f:+61 8 9312 0899
pbrown at stgeorges.wa.edu.au
www.stgeorges.wa.edu.au
Click here for more information