[Catalist] Equilibrium and temperature

Brendan Selby Brendan.Selby at ststephens.wa.edu.au
Fri Nov 24 20:09:16 AEDT 2017

The dependence of the rate constant for a chemical reaction is given be the Arrhenius Equation k = A exp(-Ea/(RT)) where Ea is the activation energy.

The Ea will always be larger for the endothermic reaction since Ea(endo) = Ea(exo) + the magnitude of delta H. This can easily be seen in the energy profile diagram.

Since Ea is larger for the endo reaction, increasing T has a bigger effect on the power in the exponent. Hence a bigger effect on the rate constant.

This effect on the rate constant will always mean a greater rate if all concentrations are unchanged regardless of the order of the reaction.

Sent on the go with Vodafone