[Catalist] FW: Upcoming events at Murdoch University

Angeline Ng angie at stawa.net
Mon Oct 2 18:55:55 AEDT 2017

Dear Members

Please note I was asked to forward the below mentioned email on the upcoming events at Murdoch.

Regards
Angie Loo-Ng
Accounts Officer
Science Teachers Association of WA
Unit 6/1270-1274 Albany Highway
Cannington WA 6107
PO Box 7310
Karawara WA 6152
Tel : 08 92441987 Fax: 08 92442601

From: Fiona Mochrie <F.Mochrie at murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Monday, 2 October 2017 10:56 am
To: Angeline Ng <angie at stawa.net>
Subject: Upcoming events at Murdoch University

Dear Angie,

We have some events coming up at Murdoch which would be great if you could share them with the members – there is a coding club for girls (flyer attached), as well as a series of public lectures – I have attached the powerpoint slides that schools may wish to use for promotional material with their students as well as more information below.

Public Lecture Series
You're invited to hear from Murdoch’s world-class researchers at our series of free public lectures that will explore the theme of ‘human contact’.
________________________________
What is the impact of human contact on the world around us? Experts in law, philosophy, ecology, political science and psychology will discuss the impact of our interaction with one another and the world around us.
The lectures are held at the Kim Beazley Lecture Theatre<https://maps.murdoch.edu.au/location/13511001> at Murdoch’s Perth campus. It’s free to attend, but please register to secure your place.

How can we study wildlife from afar and protect them from human contact?
Monday 9 October 2017, 6-7pm
A conservationist’s conundrum is that to study the environment, they must impact it. Emerging ecologist Dr Margaret Andrew<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/margaret-andrew/> will showcase how her team is using cutting-edge technologies to avoid the negative impact of this contact and contribute to nature protection.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/how-can-we-study-wildlife-from-afar-and-protect-them-from-human-contact-tickets-37991158578>
How can nature’s architecture inspire next-generation technology?
Monday 16 October 2017, 6-7pm
How can something appear green, without a colour pigment? Dr Gerd Schröder-Turk<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/gerd-schroeder-turk/> is leading research to discover how naturally-occurring nanostructures are doing just that, and how we can reproduce these structures to inspire new technologies.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/how-can-natures-architecture-inspire-next-generation-technology-tickets-36918496216>
Human fingerprint analysis: have popular crime shows misled you?
Monday 23 October 2017, 6-7pm
When fingerprints are found at a crime scene, how are they analysed? Thanks to popular TV crime shows you might assume that this job sits with a computer, but this is often not the case. Cognitive scientist Dr Matthew Thompson<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/matthew-thompson/> will discuss his research into the previously unexplored world of fingerprint expertise.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/human-fingerprint-analysis-have-popular-crime-shows-misled-you-tickets-37903500390>
How is the world borrowing from Australia to combat political polarisation?
Monday 30 October 2017, 6-7pm
When Australia became a nation, we borrowed ideas from other countries such as the United States. Today, the roles are reversing. Leading political scientist Professor Benjamin Reilly<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/benjamin-reilly/> will discuss this trend and its wider implications for Australia and the rest of the world.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/how-is-the-world-borrowing-from-australia-to-combat-political-polarisation-tickets-37718051708>
Go with the flow: how does the Leeuwin Current influence life in WA?
Monday 6 November 2017, 6-7pm
What do WA shipwrecks, climate and fish have in common? They are all influenced by the Leeuwin Current. Join Professor Lynnath Beckley<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/lynnath-beckley/> as she explores how this unusual current influences life in WA as it flows from north to south along our coast.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/go-with-the-flow-how-does-the-leeuwin-current-influence-life-in-wa-tickets-38027744006>
Should dual citizens be eligible to serve in Parliament?
Monday 13 November 2017, 6-7pm
Join our panel of experts Dr Jürgen Bröhmer<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/jurgen-brohmer/> and Lorraine Finlay<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/lorraine-finlay/> as they discuss the dual citizenship scandal that has rocked parliament in recent months. Find out how the situation has come to this, why it’s been referred to the High Court, and explore how dual citizenship is handled on a global level.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/should-dual-citizens-be-eligible-to-serve-in-parliament-tickets-37903585645>
How can you encourage life-long reading in future generations?
Monday 20 November 2017, 6-7pm
It’s common practice for parents to read aloud to their children in the early years. But why does this often stop once children can read by themselves? Leading literacy expert Dr Margaret Merga<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/margaret-merga/> will discuss the benefits of parents and teachers reading aloud to kids beyond early childhood.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/how-can-you-encourage-life-long-reading-in-future-generations-tickets-36240241538>
Refugees and asylum seekers: what are the barriers to higher education?
Monday 27 November 2017, 6-7pm
Refugees and asylum seekers face a number of social, legal and economic barriers when accessing higher education in Australia. Meet our panel of experts, Mary Anne Kenny<http://profiles.murdoch.edu.au/myprofile/mary-anne-kenny/> and Caroline Fleay, and join in this discussion.
MORE INFO<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/refugees-and-asylum-seekers-what-are-the-barriers-to-higher-education-tickets-38097300050>

Kind regards,

Fiona Mochrie
BSc, MSc, PGCE
Outreach Officer

Academic Registrar's Office | External Engagement
Biological Sciences Building | Room 2-011
Ph: +61 8 9360 7656
M: +61 410 086 382

E: f.mochrie at murdoch.edu.au<mailto:f.mochrie at murdoch.edu.au>

Murdoch University