[Catalist] Reply to Errol Hunt’s EMAIL to me via ASTA

Stephen Zander szander at ccgs.wa.edu.au
Sun Oct 8 21:19:06 AEDT 2017

Hi Eric,
Your message has made it through to us.

With regard to your comment, I think the frequency of discourse has reduced significantly due to the workload of teachers in schools, who generally only have time to respond to the catalist email during breaks and out of school hours. I know from my own experience I seem to be dealing with upwards of 60 to 70 emails a day, much of which is coming from parents and students, or purely related to school administration. Seems colleagues don’t talk to one another so much as they use to, it is much easier sending an email from one office that is next door to another.

With regards to Errol’s email, I thought such a course once existed in WA but went by the wayside some years back in one revision of the WACE, ATAR or whatever its name was at the time, when the number of courses was reduced to 50 or so. I taught something similar in the NT and SA some 25 or so years ago and was a popular subject for students not wanting to pursue an academic program towards University entrance and should be available for students today, after all students have the options of doing General Maths and General English, why not General Science. But to be realistic, there are so many other course options available to students these days at year 11 and 12 that such a course would struggle to get up, even being a subject that fits the current focus on STEM. Errol’s reasoning for such a course is spot on, anything to increase the scientific literacy and awareness amongst members of the community would go a long way towards making politicians and others more accountable for what they do and say.

Kind Regards

Dr Stephen Zander