[Catalist] Belief in Creationist Pseudoscience in Australia renaissance

gpmcmahon1 gpmcmahon1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 23:11:42 AEST 2018

I'm curious Leon. Why would you expect to find evidence of a God in a biochemical experiment? Or microbiology or whatever.  Was/were the experiment(s) designed to find/negate proof of a God? How did you set it up?
Assuming you are unable to design such an experiment - does it really mean that no God exists?
Cheers Graham McMahon

-------- Original message --------From: Leon Harris <leon at quoll.com> Date: 2/4/18  7:03 pm  (GMT+08:00) To: Catalist <catalist at lists.stawa.net> Subject: Re: [Catalist] Belief in Creationist Pseudoscience in Australia renaissance

      Well you see Michael, the opposing
        arguments don't equate in terms of evidence quality.

        Never in any of my long years of biochemical research did any of
        my experiments produce a result that suggested the existence of
        a god. My colleagues in physiology and microbiology report the
        same. Physics and chemistry are the same, though in all of these
        disciplines there are those who shun the void of no positive
        results and choose the cultural beliefs of their upbringing. No
        one has yet conceived of an experiment that can be carried out
        within a scientific method that has produced evidence of a god.
        The closest I know of produce evidence that belief in a god can
        produce a better health outcome in certain disease states
        (placebo effects and such like). I rate the view that there
        isn't a god at somewhere between a 2 and a 3, on my scale. Note
        that my scale is non-parametric - it says nothing about the size
        of the gap between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 the numbers are just for
        counting, the order indicates direction, not size).

        To improve the "rating" of the hypothesis that a deity exists
        from between 5 and 6 (that may not be true, but as yet hasn't
        been disproven; 6. that is untestable) to something higher would
        require some kind of evidence from a controlled scientific
        experiment. If you know of such evidence, both atheistic and
        religious people would appreciate you writing it up and
        publishing it, along with a reproducible method, in a respected
        journal. And I am not being facetious with that - my experience
        is that atheism is not a religion, and those who hold that view
        do so because there is no compelling scientific evidence
        otherwise. If compelling evidence were available, I think you
        would find many converts from the scientific atheists.

        Remember - experimental evidence is required. While the Bible,
        Torah and Koran are culturally persuasive artefacts, they are
        not controlled scientific studies, and don't constitute evidence
        in the formal scientific sense.

        Of course, the opportunity to not subject religious beliefs to
        formal testing is also open. If your theology holds that your
        deity requires faith, (the John 20:29 angle), it is fine not to
        go there. This is one of the mechanisms by which reasonable
        people can hold divergent views on this matter.

        Cheers,

        Leon.

        (Make love, not war. Hey, get married, do both!)

        (edit) because the discussion is open, I have reposted to
        catalist. Sorry if you get it twice Michael.