[Catalist] When god botherers push their archaic nutjob beliefs in science forums

brendan o'brien oscience2006 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 01:03:24 AEST 2018

Hi Leon, John, et al

I am very happy to have my emails reviewed by moderators prior to publication in the Catalist email list.

I will refrain from using the words f*ck and God-b*therers in future emails.

My points 1 & 2 still stand as valid criticism of Catalist emails from those who choose to spam a highly valued science forum with crackpot ideas. The arrogance and disrespect emanating from those who seek to use this science forum to promote their religious beliefs is breathtaking, and as such my response, though somewhat blunt, is fully justified and appropriate.

Let's stick to science and science education. There are plenty of other places on the internet where religious ideologies can be discussed.

Let's be honest, your Catalist 'Renaissance of Creationism' email thread is a thinly disguised attempt to influence Catalist science teachers to accept that creationism is a valid science topic of discussion.

I hope those who bluntly post religious spam are also warned that their oh-so-very-polite spam will also be moderated

Cheers,
__________________________

Brendan O’Brien
THOONA VIC 3726
+61 (0)498 591 046
oscience2006 at gmail.com
@Astrophiz on Twitter
Astrophiz Website
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Astrophiz
Stream or Download Astrophiz Podcasts https://soundcloud.com/astrophiz
Find and subscribe 'Astrophiz Podcasts’ on iTunes
Soundcloud RSS: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:13051063/sounds.rss
__________________________

> On 6 Apr 2018, at 11:16 PM, Leon Harris <leon at quoll.com> wrote:
>
> Fair comment. This is an incomplete quote of a private email that I sent to you off list requesting some sort of civility. It was written quickly, to calm a situation with the potential to bring our association and profession into disrepute. It has not been quoted in full.
>
> Brendan, due to the lack of responsiveness towards the issues raised with you, I have set the moderator bit on your account.
> This means that any further post that you make to Catalist will need to be reviewed by a list administrator prior to being sent out to the list.
> Any fair comment, with decent language and that is respectfully put will be passed onto the list, once a moderator has seen it.
>
> This means that there will a lag, of up to 24h on any post you make.
> You are more than welcome to contact me off list for a chat about the standards required for discourse in this forum.
>
> Kind regards,
> Leon Harris
> Catalist list co-administrator.
>
> Catalist does not wish to be authoritarian, but neither is it a free-for-all. Should you feel that you need a review of my actions, John Clarke, the CEO of STAWA would be the appropriate person to address any issues that you may have.
>
>> On 6/04/2018 7:59 PM, brendan o'brien wrote:
>>
>> "These two comments are outside of the realm of constructive and are of little help in adding light to how to enhance how the range of people who teach science do so.”
>>
>> Is this an actual sentence?

Cheers,

Brendan O’Brien
THOONA VIC 3726