[Catalist] Female Praying Mantis and her Ootheca

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 21:30:06 AEDT 2018

Greeting Science Colleagues,

About 6 weeks ago I observed that a female praying mantis had fastened her ootheca to the feature brick column supporting the front porch of my apartment.

I could not take a close-up photograph of her as she was resting on the underside of the porch roof. I think that she was an Archimantis latistyla?

URL 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimantis_latistyla <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimantis_latistyla>
This afternoon I observed about 25 recently hatched praying mantis nymphs clinging to the feature brick column in close proximity to their recently vacated ootheca. The ootheca was very quickly covered in small black ants. The ants did not try to molest the praying mantis nymphs.

We may wish to learn more about praying mantises at this Wikipedia website?

URL 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis>
Perhaps our Year 9 science students could learn about invertebrates at this URL?

CSIRO URL: http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/index.html <http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/index.html>
I am pleased “Insectopia [URL: http://www.insectopia.com.au <http://www.insectopia.com.au/>] is retreating from trading live invertebrates!” Should science teachers ask their science students to make collections of insects?

As an alternative, perhaps colleagues may like to download and use my Year 9 Biological Sciences Comparative Study of Slaters and Millipedes and Land Snails from my Biological Sciences webpage on the ASTA MOODLE URL: http://moodle.asta.edu.au <http://moodle.asta.edu.au/>?

I will upload two ‘praying mantis’ photographs to ASTA’s e-forum ASTARIX 2.0.

Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry