[Catalist] FW: Year of the Periodic Table international collaboration

John Clarke john at stawa.net
Tue Jul 17 11:00:09 AEST 2018

Hi All,

I met Diana Mason at CONASTA and offered to assist her and Jean Hein in reaching science teachers in WA. While Diana is at the University of Texas, this invitation to collaborate comes from Jean’s University, the University of Waterloo, Canada. Both are part of an international promotion of the International Year of the Periodic Table in 2019.

Sign up your students to adopt one element and design its tile.  Periodic table timeline attached.

There are over 16 countries participating so far, but none from Australia.  All you have to do to participate is sign up at www.uwaterloo.ca/chemistry/timeline-of-elements<http://www.uwaterloo.ca/chemistry/timeline-of-elements> -- name, school, email and your top choices for element.  The deadline is August 7 for sign up – then in September all the elements are assigned – they will then send you your element and the dimensions of the tile.  The actual artwork is not due until next March (although earlier is always better).

It is up to the teacher as to how they have their students to do the tile – a competition, a project, a class effort, work with their art department, etc. The tiles will be put into the timeline by the organisers.

The last project https://uwaterloo.ca/chemistry/international-year-chemistry/periodic-table-project made a poster, wall mural and free mobile app.  I highly recommend teachers and students check out this project – great chemistry and artwork done by students around the world.  This time a wall mural, website and poster are planned, along with a social media campaign.
“We do not have anyone from Australia so please consider participating or passing this message on.  Involved students loved this project and we hope to capture the same excitement as our last project.” Said Jean

There is only room for 118 schools around the world, it would be great if some were from WA!

Please contact Diana or Jean for any further info.
Mason Diana: Diana.Mason at unt.edu<mailto:Diana.Mason at unt.edu>
Jean Hein: jhein at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:jhein at uwaterloo.ca>

Diana Mason, PhD, ACSF
Professor Emeritus