[Catalist] Student Citizen scientists: Junior Curator Workshop

John Clarke john at stawa.net
Tue Jul 31 10:25:02 AEST 2018

For students between 12 and 15
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D428A7.F98995A0]
As part of National Science Week 2018, we are organising a range of activities to do with Mini Beasts.   For more information head to www.museum.wa.gov.au/minibeasts<http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/minibeasts>
One event is specifically for young people aged between 12-15 years and interested in science.
Junior Curator Workshop
Join experts from the WA Museum, Murdoch University and the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development who will provide a range of “theory and practice” learning experiences around insects and how we go about describing them, why we describe them and how these experts came to the careers they enjoy.
Junior curators will spend approximately 4 hours at the City of Perth Library in an intensive and enjoyable learning experience about insects!

  *   look down microscopes
  *   delve into how we describe species
  *   investigate if species are related
  *   hear how genetic analysis is a critical asset
Learn how good taxonomy and collections help protect biological and environmental resources and reveal approaches to climate change.  Experts will also share stories of their careers in science and answer as many questions as possible on the day!
How to participate?
Participants will be selected from an on-line competition!
The instructions are at Junior Curator Workshop Competition<http://museum.wa.gov.au/museums/offsite/junior-curator-workshop-competition>
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D428A7.F98995A0]

John Clarke
CEO