[Catalist] Philosophy in Schools

leon at quoll.com leon at quoll.com
Thu Jun 7 18:35:14 AEST 2018

Yeah, interesting .  I'd say that the narrator is a bit stuck on first level. Identifying writing as a core capability is fine and dandy.It doesn't protect you from traps of sophistry, and many good writers are poor thinkers. Much of the worlds most persuasive text is filled with logical flaws.In other words his correlation is fine, but his causality is no where near proven.
Other factors play a much bigger role in the "cognitive surge" that you get from a good uni degree.I think that by the time you get to uni  , your cohorts talent base is concentrated enough to really learn from. So you get to sharpen your skills in a way that you never get to at school. Having lots of intellectual arguments is a way of developing reasoning skills. Your physical brain development has come close to reaching its adult stage, so you have something to think with.
Finally, don't you think the whole idea is somewhat circular? You assess cognitive ability through a piece of text ( sorry Socrates mate, you failed. You indigenous guys also dont rate either, despite the subtlety, clever design  and effectiveness of your skin grouping that we could only figure out when we developed an understanding of modern genetics).Maybe it is only the reasoned piece of prose that modern human thinkers can easily access. It is a bit like the idea: can you comprehend as many dog messages as your dog can understand human words?
Anyway, in these days a well-crafted meme has as much power to change society as a reasonned prose. That is the horror of Trump. Who knew- we all thought we were rational !
Cheers,Harristotle

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Colin Dixon <crdixon at gmail.com> Date: 7/6/18  2:08 pm  (GMT+08:00) To: WA Science Teachers Discussion List <catalist at lists.stawa.net> Subject: Re: [Catalist] Philosophy in Schools
https://youtu.be/eo24h5fFfmE
This is a great 3 min video on critical thinking, and why most of us are teaching it poorly.
See https://jordanbpeterson.com/blog/ and download the writing guide under products.
Taken from Jordan's YouTube 2017 Series Maps of Meaning 6

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 12:24 PM, Michael McGarry <mmcgarry44 at gmail.com> wrote:

Philosophy in Schools

Greetings CATALIST/ASTARIX 2.0 subscribers,

If Australia is to progress to a well-educated and
innovative nation, Australians must have self-reliance, use critical thinking,
and practise philosophical ethics.

Self-reliance is
the ability to do things and make decisions by yourself, without needing other
people to help you.

Critical thinking refers to the objective analysis
and evaluation of an argument in order to form a logical and dependable judgement.

Philosophical ethics
is the study of morality using a rational, secular perspective based on the concepts
of human happiness or well-being.

Philosophy for Children

In some Australian states students in Years 11 and 12 can study
Philosophy and Ethics.  For example in
WA: URL 1: https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/syllabus-and-support-materials/humanities-and-social-sciences/philosophy-and-ethics

For example in NSW: URL 2: http://www.philosophyinschoolsnsw.org/?page_id=18

For example at Buranda State School: URL 3: https://burandass.eq.edu.au/Curriculum/Teachingandlearning/Pages/Philosophy-in-school.aspx

Philosophy for Children (P4C)

In the UK, children in Years 4 and 5 “… participate in group
dialogues focused on philosophical issues. Dialogues are prompted by a stimulus
(for example, a story or a video) and are based around [on] a concept
such as ‘truth’, ‘fairness’ or ‘bullying’. The aim of P4C is to help children
become more willing and able to ask questions, construct arguments, and engage
in reasoned discussion.”

EEF Reference URL 4: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/public/files/Projects/Evaluation_Reports/EEF_Project_Report_PhilosophyForChildren.pdf

SAPERE URL 5: https://www.sapere.org.uk

ICPIC URL 6: http://icpic.org

Federation of Australasian Philosophy in Schools
Associations

FAPSA URL 7: http://fapsa.org.au/associations/

2018 FAPSA Conference URL 8: https://fapsa.org.au/conference/

Question: In schools running a “Philosophy in Schools”
programme is there robust communication between the Society and Environment and
Science departments to promote self-reliance, critical thinking, and
philosophical ethics in students?

Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry

Catalist at lists.stawa.net