[Catalist] Full proof lesson on Isotopes, Decay and Half Lives

Stephen Treloar str at gmas.wa.edu.au
Mon Oct 22 09:33:38 AEDT 2018

Microwave popcorn works well and better than M and Ms as it isn’t just an edible experiment, the popcorn decays...and at a remarkably constant rate (my HB12 class did it last lesson and the “mystery bag” I did after they had graphed their, only, 3 data points they did got bang on, no pun, what I did it for in the interpolation).
I get them to do 1.30, 2.00 and 2.30 - try first in case powerful microwave will have it all popped in that time. Then my mystery one was 1.50 and that’s exactly what they got.
No experiment sheet, sorry, as I get them to design it from the basic idea with controlled variables and method.
Lots of good discussion on how the model relates or doesnt to C14 and what is what (eg unpopped corn is C14 etc).
And....then you eat the experiment....
Need popcorn, bowls for counting (popped and unpopped - then they graph the % popped at each time).
A good un....and has rarely failed to get within a couple of secs for the mystery one of what it actually was.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad

Stephen Treloar
Head of Senior School