[Catalist] Professor Jessica Meeuwig - "Pulling back the big blue curtain: big fish and big parks - Days of scientific discovery for students in Years 11 Marine and Biology and Year 10

Michelle AUSTIN m.austin at ecu.edu.au
Mon May 13 15:12:16 AEST 2019

Hello members

Come and join Edith Cowan University (ECU) as we host the 2019 ATSE Eminent Speaker, Professor Jessica Meeuwig, for a day of scientific exploration and explanation.

Professor Jessica Meeuwig, Western Australian Science Communicator of the Year (2010) and a finalist for West Australian of the Year (2017), believes that sharing research is fundamental to our collected efforts to create flourishing oceans.

Join Jessica as she shares the work of her research group, the Marine Futures Lab and their focus on conservation-driven research, with particular attention on the role that highly protected marine parks can play in rebuilding healthy resilient oceans.  She will share, through presentation, and hands-on workshops, the pioneering developments her research group has developed through the use of mid-water baited remote underwater video systems to further our understanding of our open ocean wildlife.

As well as the fascinating presentation by Professor Meeuwig, students and teachers will be invited to take part in hands-on marine biology and BRUV workshops, which will showcase scientific techniques used as part of the important research being undertaken across Australia, by marine scientists from UWA and ECU.

Event Details: