[Catalist] FREE resources & activities for teachers from ICRAR (including online meetings/lectures Tues/Wed/Thurs afternoons)

Cass Rowles cassandra.rowles at uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 2 18:06:41 AEDT 2020

Good afternoon Teachers,

ICRAR's (International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research) Outreach team is still working in these interesting times and we are looking for ways to help educators throughout the state. We have a few FREE things to offer you as teachers, and we also want to hear from you.

What are we missing in our offerings below? Let us know!

SPIRIT 101 online PD

  *   Our remote telescope program (mainly for Years 9-10), already online for many schools http://spirit.icrar.org/
  *   Intro session run each Tuesday 4-5pm AWST, any teacher can sign up via zoom: https://uwa.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5Alfuqupjgs9mU_ppSH9F8znSWgT8ypFg
  *   You can also request a 1-on-1 meeting through education at icrar.org<mailto:education at icrar.org>
  *   After completing SPIRIT 101 you’ll have access to the Outreach Officer for class sessions through your own class Webex/zoom if you want
  *   Once you’re up to speed on using SPIRIT, you’ll be given access to everything needed for your students to run a long-term project
  *   The SPIRIT program has curriculum links pertinent to grade 9 and 10, but will be useful for all high school students as it includes ‘Using ICT’ and ‘Collaborative work’

Introduction to AstroQuest

  *   AstroQuest is a citizen science project, where you and your students complete quests to help Australian scientists understand how galaxies grow and evolve
  *   We will run weekly introductory sessions on how to sign up as a teacher and use the website with your class
  *   Each Wednesday 4-430 AWST, any teacher can sign up via zoom: https://uwa.zoom.us/meeting/register/v5ElcO6sqjotE4o53Qm-Iqo3MYCdM-rrYw
  *   AstroQuest has teacher guides (including curriculum links) for Year 4 and 5/6 Digital Technologies, Year 10 Science, and Unit 1 Physics -https://astroquest.net.au/teachers/

Weekly astronomy lecture

  *   Not strictly for schools, open to everyone
  *   Streaming a live lecture to our YouTube channel<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCobAtc3ejuyreZAtIha4XHQ>
  *   Different ICRAR researcher or topic each week
  *   Wednesdays 730pm AWST

Ask an Astrophysicist (for teachers & parents)

  *   Our Outreach Officer will be online each Thursday 400-430pm, any teacher or parent can sign up via zoom: https://uwa.zoom.us/meeting/register/uZcodOutrzotdp5k2WRkGug5EDplPqWJFQ
  *   You can jump into the video chat and ask about space science concepts or the universe in general that will help you teach your class

Physics and Maths – Ask an Astrophysicist (for classes)

  *   You can book you + your class in for an interactive session with our Outreach Officer
     *   You’ll have up to an hour to elaborate on any space science concepts/universe in general that you’ve been covering in class
     *   Open to all grades, including ATAR
     *   You can control the session through your class Webex or request a different mode of delivery
  *   Email us to book: education at icrar.org<mailto:education at icrar.org>

Cosmos Computing (Years 5+)

  *   More info on the program - https://www.icrar.org/outreach-education/resources/cosmos-computing/
  *   We run a tele-conference version of the Cosmos Computing lesson with students and teacher via Zoom
  *   Students can be set-up in breakout rooms guided by their teacher and the ICRAR Outreach Officer
  *   All handouts can be found online and printed online, except for the HDD book which could be sent to a teacher. The Outreach Officer could also be the HDD for the lesson
  *   Curriculum links Y5 (ACTDIK014<http://www.scootle.edu.au/ec/search?accContentId=ACTDIK014>) & Y7 (ACTDIK023<http://www.scootle.edu.au/ec/search?accContentId=ACTDIK023>)

Nearly the end of the email!

Please let us know what do you need as teachers! What are you hoping research organisations like ICRAR can offer you at this time? We are open to suggestions and want to help you as much as possible (for FREE).

We’re using the most secure features of Zoom, including registrations, password protection, and waiting rooms. We’re currently not offering any weekly zoom meetings with students, only teachers or parents. If you have any concerns about using this software, please let us know.

The ICRAR Outreach team
Between us, we’ve got decades of experience, and teaching qualifications & science degrees galore!

Kirsten Gottschalk, Astronomy Ambassador
Has a background in astronomy, science communication and education.

Gregory Rowbotham, Cosmos Consultant
Has a background in astronomy/physics, teaching and science communication, and will be the main person you chat with on Tuesdays/Thursdays’ online sessions.

Cass Rowles, Cosmic Communicator
Has a background in science communication & informal education, and will be a moderator on most sessions.

Lisa Evans, Project Officer Citizen Science
Has a background in astronomy and citizen science, and will be the main person you chat with on the Wednesday AstroQuest sessions.

Pete Wheeler, Outreach, Education and Communications Manager
Has a background in physics, astronomy, science communication, and media. He’s the boss behind the scenes.

About ICRAR Outreach: https://www.icrar.org/outreach-education/

Kind regards,
Cass Rowles
Cosmic Communicator
Acting Online Coordinator
Ph: +61 8 6488 7768

[signature_1003473893]
www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org/> | Subscribe to ICRAR’s eNewsletter<https://www.icrar.org/#subscribe> | ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ICRAR/> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/icrargram/>
I work 9-5 Tuesday to Friday. She/her.