[Catalist] Western Australian Museum Virtual Lab 31 July

Emmaline Yearsley emmaline.yearsley at museum.wa.gov.au
Fri Jul 24 14:12:36 AEST 2020

Hello all,

The Western Australian Museum is home to a range of amazing scientists and curators. While our doors have been closed, they’ve all been continuing their fascinating work – and we want to share it with you. From July to November we’re inviting you and your students to join us for a monthly livestreamed conversation with one of these incredible researchers. Each month, we will introduce a new scientist, explore their work and hear their answers to some of the questions that your students submit.

Our first Virtual Lab brings you face to face with our real-life spider man, Dr. Mark Harvey. Mark is an expert in Arachnids & Myriapods, studying creatures like spiders, scorpions and centipedes. He has named over 725 new species, including the Draculoides bramstokeri and Tyrannochthonius rex. In this Lab, Mark will talk about his work on Australian trapdoor spiders and pseudoscorpions (which are small arachnids that look like tiny scorpions without a tail). We’ll discover how scientists use taxonomy to classify species, looking under the microscope and explore the many spiders lurking in the stores of the Museum.

Target Audience: Secondary students