[Catalist] Textbooks yrs 7-10

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Fri Apr 16 16:04:02 AEST 2021

We are using Pearson Science series.
They are ok, especially when coupled with a teacher copy of a homework
book, and a collection of past resources.
There are very few factual errors or sloppiness, they are mostly correct
to the level being taught at high school, and some care has evidently
been taken with them.
The access that Pearson give to students with the online textbook is
helpful - this was negotiated at the school level, so I am not privy to
the detail, but I particularly like being able to flick a sick kid a
reference and have them keep up at home.

Of course, no textbook is a course, and teacher input into programs is
essential. (Teachers and not textbooks teach students !).  The
advantages of a well-sequenced series such as this is that it will allow
you as a department to train up competent grad and early career
teachers, and give them a chance to develop coherence and sequence. I'd
recommend it as a good departmental choice, subject to the caveat that
you will always find some errors in everything, but hey, that's our job
to find them.

Cheers,
Leon