[Catalist] Professional Learning Session - Managing our recreational fisheries

rsskinner at optusnet.com.au rsskinner at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 25 13:36:02 AEST 2021

Catalystians - and especially the physicsy-type ones.

I am struggling to explain the topic of Greenhouse effect with my year 12s.
Absorption spectra are on the syllabus - where certain wavelengths of
radiation passthrough a gas and certain lines are absorbed due to electron
level transitions. But with molecules, electrons are not promoted - the
absorption there is due to the uptake of energy mainly from the molecular
bonds.

When we focus on the gas carbon dioxide I have found that the absorption
only takes place at the wavelengths 2.7, 4.3 and 15 micrometres, the latter
line being a bit broader that the others. These energy levels account for
about 8% of the total IR spectrum. Water vapour accounts for about 60%
absorption of IR.

The question is: How can I explain to my year 12 physics students that by
removing all the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere (apart from killing most
of the life on Earth) this will significantly lower the temperature of the
Earth.

Roy