[Catalist] Annenberg’s “Chemistry: Challenges and Solutions”

John Clarke john at stawa.net
Fri Aug 27 10:05:18 AEST 2021

Good morning All,
The following Chemistry resources have been bought to my attention by Prof. Patrick Garnett, Chairman of the Board, School Curriculum and Standards Authority.
Of particular interest are the videos. Please share with your Chemistry teachers.

John

John Clarke
CEO STAWA

The following has been provided by Jim Reiss -  Victoria

Senior high school chemistry. Annenberg’s “Chemistry: Challenges and Solutions”
The Annenberg TV series “Chemistry: Challenges and Solutions” a Harvard-Smithsonian production
which is being presented on the ABC TV, Channel 23 on Monday mornings at 11:30.
It can be viewed via the ABC TV iView web site. It is also accessible via the web. The link is,
   https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/>
   ****************
The title of each episode in the series is listed below:

  *   1              Matter and the Rise of Atomic Theory: The Art of the Meticulous<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/matter-and-the-rise-of-atomic-theory-the-art-of-the-meticulous/>
  *   2              The Behavior of Atoms: Phases of Matter and the Properties of Gases<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/the-behavior-of-atoms-phases-of-matter-and-the-properties-of-gases/>
  *   3              Atoms and Light: Exploring Atomic and Electronic Structure<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/atoms-and-light-exploring-atomic-and-electronic-structure/>
  *   4              Organizing Atoms and Electrons: The Periodic Table<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/organizing-atoms-and-electrons-the-periodic-table/>
  *   5              Making Molecules: Lewis Structures and Molecular Geometries<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/making-molecules-lewis-structures-and-molecular-geometries/>
  *   6              Quantifying Chemical Reactions: Stoichiometry and Moles<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/quantifying-chemical-reactions-stoichiometry-and-moles/>
  *   7              The Energy in Chemical Reactions: Thermodynamics and Enthalpy<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/the-energy-in-chemical-reactions-thermodynamics-and-enthalpy/>
  *   8              When Chemicals Meet Water: The Properties of Solutions<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/when-chemicals-meet-water-the-properties-of-solutions/>
  *   9              Equilibrium and Advanced Thermodynamics: Balance in Chemical Reactions<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/equilibrium-and-advanced-thermodynamics-balance-in-chemical-reactions/>
  *   10           Acids and Bases: The Voyage of the Proton<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/acids-and-bases-the-voyage-of-the-proton/>
  *   11           The Metallic World: Electrochemistry and Coordination Compounds<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/the-metallic-world-electrochemistry-and-coordination-compounds/>
  *   12           Kinetics and Nuclear Chemistry – Rates of Reaction<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/kinetics-and-nuclear-chemistry-the-need-for-speed/>
  *   13           Modern Materials and the Solid State: Crystals, Polymers, and Alloys<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/modern-materials-and-the-solid-state-crystals-polymers-and-alloys/>
  *   14           Interactive: Chemistry Timeline<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/chemistry-timeline/>
  *   15           Interactive: Control a Haber-Bosch Ammonia Plant<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/control-a-haber-bosch-ammonia-plant/>
  *   16           Interactive: The Chemistry of Running<https://www.learner.org/series/chemistry-challenges-and-solutions/the-chemistry-of-running/>
A number of the episodes have been reviewed. Below are independent assessments of some episodes:
Episodes 1 - 13
I and my colleagues are impressed by the presentations. They provide, at the senior high school level, the basics of chemistry: atomic structure; stereochemistry and structure; reactions, kinetics and thermodynamics, together with a broad range of examples which reflect chemistry in the 21st C. These include: spectroscopy; action of penicillin; drug design; enzymic production of succinic acid; photovoltaic cells and artificial ‘leaves’ to mimic photosynthesis; polymer chemistry; acid rain and environmental chemistry; nuclear chemistry; new alloys, etc. Only part of Episode 11, in which the role of folate is discussed, would be difficult to incorporate into teaching.

There is a wealth of chemistry, most of it open-ended which will attract the attention of top students and keep their interest. Some of the episodes could be divided into two or even three sections, e.g., Episode 12 which introduces, a) kinetics, b) chirality and drug design, and c) nuclear chemistry and radio-labelling of molecules used in cancer diagnosis. The demonstrations of chemical principals are brilliant - most would be impossible for teachers to reproduce in the class-room - and for this alone, the series is invaluable.
Jim Reiss, BSc (Hons) PhD, BEc, former Assoc Prof, Chemistry, La Trobe University
 Episode 1
I think it provides a very good introduction for SACE Stage 1 Chemistry. It contains some historical information as well as referring to some topical current issues. It also shows the work of chemists. Importantly, it captures and maintains one's interest. If I was still teaching SACE Stage 1 Chemistry, I would certainly use it.
 Lynton Hall, BSc, Dip Ed. MRACI, chemistry teacher, SA
 Episode 4
I have reviewed the 4th episode and I thought it was brilliant. In particular it demonstrated that the Periodic Table is a living thing, capable of change but also giving structure to the many elements that make up our world. I would have loved this resource when I was teaching chemistry.
 Jan Thomas, OAM, BSc (Hons), DipEd, BEd (TESOL) former Executive Officer AMSI
 Episode 5
It is an excellent introduction to the application of chemistry in drug design. It would be a great teaching tool for senior high school chemistry students.
Rhonda McCaw, BSc, Grad Dip Biotech, formerly with the Infectious Diseases Group of RMH, now within the Dougherty Institute.

Episode 6
Very impressive! A range of chemical concepts were introduced here (including reaction stoichiometry, balanced equations, molar mass and limiting reagent) in an exceptionally clear manner. Understanding of these concepts was supported by wonderful simple demonstrations drawn from both University and industrial sites involved with research into the development of renewable energy, radiation detectors and  environmentally friendly household products. Overall, a most impressive and useful introduction to quantifying chemical reactions.
Dr Don Phillips, PhD, Emeritus Professor of Biochemistry, La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science

Episode 7
I have looked at Episode 7 on thermodynamics.
This is an excellent video with relevant discussion of the topic and appropriate demonstration experiments. It is a valuable resource and will be interesting to students. 30 Minutes is a good length to engage students.
Dr Bob Brownlee, PhD, Emeritus Professor of Chemistry, La Trobe University
 Episode 12
I have viewed the one on reaction kinetics which I thought was excellent. It had some excellent demos to supplement the one on elephants' toothpaste which I often used to great effect.
To date, what I have seen of the whole series provides an excellent introduction with some terrific visual effects and 'additional info' as supplementary/complementary material rather than the full core of a senior chem course.
 Sandra Reynolds, MSc, teacher of chemistry for several decades at private schools in SA and also at University Senior College. A co-author of, Chemistry Australia, a foundation chemistry course for Year 11 including the IB.
Episode 13
This was outstanding in every way. The objects and procedures that they filmed were simply brilliant for their purpose - e.g., the sequence where they synthesised polymers in the lab. I have rated it 9 out of 10 because they sometimes changed the topic slightly too quickly.
Dr Bob Parsons, PhD, former Reader in Botany, La Trobe University