[Catalist] Ideal end of term activity - international drawing contest (https://kidscareaboutclimate.org)

Marji Puotinen M.Puotinen at aims.gov.au
Wed Jun 23 12:47:29 AEST 2021

Hi teachers and school administrators.

My name is Dr. Marji Puotinen.  I am a research scientist at the Australian Institute of Marine Science, and in my spare time I teach kids about climate change (What do penguins and coral reefs have in common? | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/penguins.and.coral.reefs>) and volunteer in schools via the CSIRO STEM Professionals in Schools Program.

Are you looking for an end of term activity that is fun and educational at the same time?
Consider helping your students participate in the Kids Care about Climate Change international drawing contest - https://kidscareaboutclimate.org.  The theme is 'Plant a Tree, Cool the Earth', so kids draw what they love most about trees and how they can help cool the Earth.  We then plant a tree for every entry (through Fifteen Trees - https://15trees.com.au) to show kids that their actions can make a difference to build a safer, cleaner, greener future for themselves and the world.  We'll also film a giant banner of the drawings in forests around Australia and the world and publicise it as widely as possible including at United Nations meetings in Glasgow and China this year.

Here is a 5 minute video (https://youtu.be/KRNjSuRQYnU ) and a 24 minute video (https://youtu.be/tazZVUMf30c ) explaining the contest - why global warming is a problem and how planting trees can help.  And here is a fun ~3 minute video that explains how to upload a drawing step by step: https://youtu.be/2WLBDEBv8Mg   The deadline is 30th June.

At present this contest has 1,210 entries from 20 countries (Argentina, Australia, Belarus, Brunei, Canada, Colombia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Mozambique, New Zealand, Pakistan, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay).  Students can use the search tool on the main page to find entries from other countries and compare them!

In 2018, I ran a similar contest that got 1,246 entries from 11 countries and 120 schools.  A huge banner of the drawings was filmed in Antarctica (https://youtu.be/ZIhQF0Hpeck, https://youtu.be/tO4ILAdjiog) and marched in 3 climate strikes in Perth.

Thanks!
Marji
Dr. Marji Puotinen
Spatial / Ecological Data Scientist | Australian Institute of Marine Science  |  Perth, Australia
Email: <mailto:marjettalp at gmail.com> M.Puotinen<mailto:M.Puotinen at aims.gov.au>@aims.gov.au
Publication profile:  http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=ZjL_EOIAAAAJ&hl=en
Online profile:  http://www.linkedin.com/pub/marji-puotinen/5/b59/83