[Catalist] Physics Phun - back emf and the simplest oscillator

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Thu Jan 27 14:20:21 AEDT 2022

Here is a blast from the past, perhaps reminiscent of Catalist in its
earlier days when it was more of a discussion forum than an announcement
list. (Before social media).

I am cleaning out my old projects drawer, and I found this - perhaps the
worlds simplest oscillator circuit, and a brilliant way to demonstrate
back emf. You can light a 90 volt (or 300 volt for that matter) ultra
low current globe from a 9 volt battery.

The circuit consists of an old relay, (some modern ones have inbuilt emf
suppression) and a neon globe. When it is connected to a 9 volt battery,
it generates a few hundred volts of back emf, which runs the little neon
light. Current produced is in the microamp range, so very safe for
classrooms.

Have a very great year, Catalistians. I have a year of leave so I know I
will. I will be continuing in my CAC and other professional groups, so
will be around the traps.

Leon Harris,

Science Teacher At Large,

STAWA Chemistry CAC representative