[Catalist] Physics Phun - back emf and the simplest oscillator

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Thu Jan 27 20:54:47 AEDT 2022

Did you have a particular 555 in mind Roy, or would ne555 do?

The thing is 555s need an external r/c network - 2 more components than
the relay here, and then a LED and a resistor to visualise. Also don't
you think that just using one intuitive part (the relay) makes the whole
concept of oscillators clearer? It switches on, and then off, then on
and off.

Here is a picture of a 555 timer-based oscillator in a magnetic stirrer
I made from a computer fan when I had delusions of biotechnology, and
before schools had laser cutters when I used to go to the Artifactory to
make this kind of stuff.  Off to the bin with ya !