[Catalist] Exciting Opportunity for students in High School Years 7&8 and 9&10 and Regional Students aged 6-12 @ ECU SuperLabs - National Science Week August 2022 and no excursion paperwork required!!!!

Michelle AUSTIN m.austin at ecu.edu.au
Mon Jun 13 15:28:03 AEST 2022

Hello Science Educators!

ECU are delighted to have been awarded the only federal National Science Week grant, in WA, for 2022.  We have 3 events we would like to share with you.

For Students in High School Years 7&8 and 9&10, we will be opening up our Science SuperLabs, alongside our partners from the WA ChemCentre.

We are inviting students to join scientists from ECU and ChemCentre, WA’s leading chemistry and forensic science facility, in ECU’s new state-of-the-art chemistry SuperLab!  Students will have the opportunity to participate in interesting hands-on experiments using the latest Spectrophotometer.  They will also meet a ChemCentre scientist who will explain how they use UV absorption spectrophotometry theory and Beer Lambert Law as part of their job at ChemCentre.

During these events students will get to:

  *   Meet ECU and ChemCentre scientists and discover where studying Science can take you in your future career
  *   Tour the new ECU Science Building
  *   Conduct interesting experiments in the SuperLab
  *   Bring along a family member of friend (the friend must be in a similar school year)

When
High school students Years 7 & 8 Tuesday 16 August 5.00-7.00pm – to register: www.trybooking.com/BZQIR<http://www.trybooking.com/BZQIR>
High school students Years 9 & 10 Wednesday 17 August 5.00-7.00pm – to register: www.trybooking.com/BZQJK<http://www.trybooking.com/BZQJK>

For students, and their families, in Regional WA, aged between 6-12 years old, we invite you to join our ECU scientists for an evening of fun and interactive science demonstrations and experiments, which we will broadcast live from our ECU SuperLabs.  We will be creating free science ‘kits’ including fun experiments, which we will send to family households so they can join in the fun, live, alongside our scientist.

During this event students will get to:

  *   Find our what is in baby nappies
  *   Investigate the properties of polymers
  *   Make your own pH indicator and measure the pH of common substances that you have at home
  *   Discover how good your sense of smell is
  *   Understand how water beads work

When
Students and their families aged between 6-12 years old Monday 10 August 5.00-6.30pm – to register: www.trybooking.com/BZPFO<http://www.trybooking.com/BZPFO>

Please note that these are all extra curriculum activities, being held at the ECU Joondalup campus, so students are asked to book independently of school (no excursion paperwork required for teachers 😊).

We hope that you feel this a beneficial experience for your students, and can promote through your school student/parent communications.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me: Michelle Austin m.austin at ecu.edu.au<mailto:m.austin at ecu.edu.au>.

We look forward to seeing your students in the near future.

Kind regards,

Michelle

Michelle Austin
Science Engagement Coordinator
T: (08) 6304 2083 M: 0450 161 006
School of Science, Room 19.381
Edith Cowan University
270 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup WA 6027
Website: http://www.ecu.edu.au/schools./science<https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecu.edu.au%2Fschools.%2Fscience&data=04%7C01%7Cm.austin%40ecu.edu.au%7C2fddecb05c604400b0c708d9517a86bd%7C9bcb323d7fa345e7a36f6d9cfdbcc272%7C1%7C0%7C637630408964303591%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=48Jj3bMRvKf%2Bt%2FOCwHbZU1y%2BXwCfrp8GmrEoUhNqzo0%3D&reserved=0> CRICOS UPS 00279B

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D783CA.C71084E0]

ECU is proud to be a member of the SAGE Pilot of the Athena SWAN charter in Australia. This initiative promotes gender equality and encourages opportunities for girls in STEM.

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B
RTO PROVIDER 4756