[Catalist] Nearpod

Rod Blitvich rblit at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 12 18:58:04 AEDT 2015

Hi
There are graphics in this report so some of it may be missing.
Thankyou to Kim Flintoff.

Nearpod
www.nearpod.com <http://www.nearpod.com/>
Will run on Mac, Windows, tablets, iPads, iPhone Android

I used my mac, but you can download the nearpod app from the App Store.

My Year 8s were able to run my presentation/quiz on their Windows and Mac laptops as well as iPhones.

You can view this short  activity at

https://app.nearpod.com/ - /?pin=9B5EE9C5178285C3AC4066E223A0EC7D-1 <https://app.nearpod.com/#/?pin=9B5EE9C5178285C3AC4066E223A0EC7D-1>

Note – you could create Nearpod activities to serve as Formative Assessments and you could generate and collect student performance data easily.

1.     On my mac the Nearpod website won’t work in safari but WILL work using Google Chrome.

2.     Go to nearpod.com

3.     Teacher Signup-Create a teacher account (choose the free version)

4.     Click on New Presentation

5.     Experiment:

a.     You can create a “powerpoint-like” presentation

b.     You can create Quizzes, Polls etc - these can be within your presentation

6.     When you are ready to test it with your students – Choose Live Session

7.     Note the unique PIN

8.     Tell the students

a.     to go to nearpod.com

b.     I’m a student

c.      Enter the PIN you gave them

d.     Then you scroll through your presentation/quiz one slide at a time while the students read/answer the questions on their devices

e.     Note that the students cannot go to the next slide until YOU do.

9.     At the conclusion of the activity go can go back to your library and generate a report on how the students went.

The following is a Review I found.

Dana Hawkins <https://edshelf.com/profile/danahawkins>
Educational Designer

October 5, 2015

Nearpod is a useful presentation tool for adding interactivity to lessons. It doesn’t take long to create lessons and you can broadcast to any device. The lessons are primarily designed for K-12, so there’s not a lot of suitable content for higher education but you can create your own presentations.

Nearpod supports engagement through presentation. Lectures are no longer one way static presentations, but have built in engagement that broadcasts to students’ devices. This is highly beneficial for quiet groups that may have something to contribute but often remain silent. Quizzes can be created to immediately analyse student comprehension and to gain feedback, and results can be shared with the class in an anonymous way. The classic use of Nearpod is to break up content dissemination from lectures or presentations by combining presentations slides and engagement slides. You can insert polls, quizzes, open-ended questions or even interactive drawings. This can be done in large lecture theaters, or smaller class environments. It’s best to begin in a tutorial environment before attempting a large lecture scenario.

Students can use Nearpod during presentations when they are reluctant to attempt audience participation by directly addressing their audience. They can gain feedback anonymously from students in order to enhance presentation assessments.

Rod Blitvich
Head of Learning Technologies
Balcatta Senior High School
Respect Unite Excel