[Catalist] Nanoparticles in Foods

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 17:50:13 AEST 2015

Greetings Science Colleagues,

Focus Question 1: Are the nanoparticles added to foods safe for human consumption?

“Big questions about risk assessment of nano materials"

URL 1: https://theconversation.com/big-questions-about-risk-assessment-of-nanomaterials-44835 <https://theconversation.com/big-questions-about-risk-assessment-of-nanomaterials-44835>

“Nanoparticles and nano safety: the big picture”

URL 2: https://theconversation.com/nanoparticles-and-nanosafety-the-big-picture-22061 <https://theconversation.com/nanoparticles-and-nanosafety-the-big-picture-22061>

“Explainer: Nanotechnology and you”

URL 3: https://theconversation.com/explainer-nanotechnology-and-you-743 <https://theconversation.com/explainer-nanotechnology-and-you-743>

“Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles in Food and Personal Care Products”

URL 4: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3288463/ <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3288463/>

“Titanium dioxide nanoparticles induce DNA damage and genetic instability in vivo in mice”

URL 5: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3873219/ <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3873219/>

Focus Question 2: Does existing Australian federal government legislation/regulation require the labelling of foods that contain added nanoparticles?

“Nano material Health Hazard Review: Health effects of titanium dioxide nanoparticles”

URL 6: http://www.nicnas.gov.au/communications/issues/nanomaterials-nanotechnology/nicnas-technical-activities-in-nanomaterials/nano-titanium-dioxide-human-health-hazard-review/nano-titanium-dioxide-technical-information-sheet <http://www.nicnas.gov.au/communications/issues/nanomaterials-nanotechnology/nicnas-technical-activities-in-nanomaterials/nano-titanium-dioxide-human-health-hazard-review/nano-titanium-dioxide-technical-information-sheet>

“Contemporary and Future Challenges for Australian Nano regulation”

URL 7: https://law.anu.edu.au/sites/all/files/users/u9705219/236-ssrn-nanoreg_in_aust.pdf <https://law.anu.edu.au/sites/all/files/users/u9705219/236-ssrn-nanoreg_in_aust.pdf>

A Request to Science colleagues:

Important Question: Do you have a list of specific foods and the added nanoparticles that these listed-foods contain so that I can exclude such foods from my diet?

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Mike McGarry