[Catalist] Nanoparticles in Foods

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Sat Sep 26 19:12:57 AEST 2015

Hi Mike,
I'd be inclined to take a bit of a chill pill on this one.
“Titanium dioxide nanoparticles induce DNA damage and genetic
instability in vivo in mice” looks like a classic kite-flying biology
paper here.
The experiments were done with quite contrived anastase TiO2 particles,
which are not the same as the rutile form used in food and paint
products (they are a few hundred times more active). They used only 5
mice per test, which is an unacceptably low number to generate any kind
of meaningful data. The 8 hydroxy guanidine assay that those guys used
is super sensitive to user error, and if not handled carefully can
measure "degradation artifacts" in otherwise ordinary tissue. This
means, that unless you have blinded the samples to the assayer, you have
the potential for bias (not fraud, not malice, just wanting to believe).
If the study is your PhD thesis, you have enough personally invested
into it to have big bias issues.

This isn't to dismiss the value of this paper entirely. But science
requires replication, and these findings aren't adequately replicated in
the literature yet, despite having a couple of years to do so. I'd wait.

Many things cause oxidative damage to cells. We are the lucky survivors
of the great oxygen catastrophe, some 3.2 billion years ago, and now
cope with breathing a gas which is more reactive than chlorine, for
breakfast. Early studies suggested something like 2% of electrons that
flow through your mitochondria leak out and end up as free radical
species (Irwin Fridovich was the author of that), although my old boss
reckoned the proportion was much lower than that. Here's a possible
scenario for you: If you are treating animals to different levels of
TiO2 exposure, and you don't want them to eat each other's poo, you
might house them in separate cages for separate dose rates. Well, at
least the control ones, that shouldn't get to eat any TiO2. Illness
causes a huge surge in oxidative damage, and chronic infection can be
easily seen in 8-OH guanidine excretion in the urine. With most of the
mice in one of the cages, you can see how the controls get a lower
value.  Now I am not saying that this is what happened, but you can see
how good-looking studies can get befouled with bias and artifacts. That
is why we await some more detailed, larger, blinded and well controlled
repetition before we get too excitable over one study.

Biological research is hard, arguably harder than a lot of the physical
sciences, and full of confounding pitfalls, traps and uncontrollable
variables. It is so easy to be blindsided by something that in
retrospect seems obvious, but actually is unknowable at the time, owing
to the complexity, history and well just mess of the systems involved.

By the way, at the doses of TiO2 fed to those mice, you wouldn't want to
be eating tic-tacs while cleaning the cage! To mangle the advert a bit,
getting distracted could lead to an un-cool surprise!

Cheers,
Leon