[Catalist] Gravity and Syllabi

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:14:32 AEST 2016

RE: Teaching SCSA/WACE Physics from Years 7 to 12

Greetings Secondary Science Teachers,

Alan Gent invites discussion with his 19082016 e-Post to CATALIST.

We know that teaching for (conceptual) understanding as explained at:

URL 1: http://www.nap.edu/read/10129/chapter/8 <http://www.nap.edu/read/10129/chapter/8> requires that we teach to a spiral curriculum URL 2: http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED538282 <http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED538282>. We can learn more about: “How People Learn” at this:

URL 3: http://www.colorado.edu/MCDB/LearningBiology/readings/How-people-learn.pdf <http://www.colorado.edu/MCDB/LearningBiology/readings/How-people-learn.pdf>.

We can learn more about UWA’s Einstein First Project at URL’s 4 through 6.

URL 4: http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201407016797/awards-and-prizes/green-light-revolutionary-new-science-curriculum <http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201407016797/awards-and-prizes/green-light-revolutionary-new-science-curriculum>
URL 5: http://www.phdseek.com/phds/956/einstein-first-researching-the-benefits-and-feasibility.html <http://www.phdseek.com/phds/956/einstein-first-researching-the-benefits-and-feasibility.html>
Tools and Models for Teaching Einsteinium Physics

URL 6: www.seeproject.org.au/includes/DOCS/einstein1.docx <http://www.seeproject.org.au/includes/DOCS/einstein1.docx>
An “International Workshop on Teaching and Learning Einsteinium Physics in the Era of Gravitational Astronomy”, which is scheduled from November 28 to December 2, 2016, with teacher workshops to be conducted on December 1 and 2 as advertised on STAWA’s CATALIST and ASTA’s ASTARIX 2.0 Forum.

Has the Einstein First Project formally made a submission to the WA SCSA Physics Syllabus Committee for inclusion of Einstein’s Gravity in the ATAR Year 12 Physics syllabus? It is my current understanding that major WACE syllabus change requires a teacher lead-in time of two years. Perhaps such submission could be conceived during the forthcoming International T/L workshop on EP?

I am reminded that teaching for understanding requires a “spiral curriculum” so we would need to introduce “Einstein’s Idea of Gravity” starting in Year Level 7.

Here are two useful YouTube Videos on Einstein’s notion of Gravity.

URL 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUKN5oaP52s <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUKN5oaP52s>
URL 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWTfLJQS1Ww <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWTfLJQS1Ww>
Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry