[Catalist] Chemistry: Proteins

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Tue Aug 23 19:55:12 AEST 2016

Hi Andrew.
Yes, that is true, (a) is true. "most likely" makes it the best answer,
but it is kind of sneaky. Primary structure determines all structures
above it, protein function is related to its structure. (I will avoid
issues of folding, chaperones, metastable states etc because they are
beyond the scope of this course).
And you can also get to the right answer from within the syllabus by
elimination: b&d are absolute statements and thus require caution, c
requires knowledge that there are many different proteins within a
species, and being different, they will have different sequences.

By the way, b is close enough to be true too: many proteins with
different primary sequences have identical secondary and tertiary
structure, especially if they are evolutionarily conserved due to a
critically important function. The classic example of this would be the
variants of cytochrome c found in horse, rat, mouse, human and fish. The
only reason for choosing a) over b) is to avoid the absolute in b): you
may end up fighting over what is "identical" at the secondary and
tertiary level.  (At the level of structure we teach in Y12, they are
indistinguishably identical) a and b are both correct, but I would
counsel my students to avoid b because it is a "well known trap" of the
type "absolute statement", and there is too much "wiggle room" in the
phrase "high degree of".

More on this at http://chemistry.umeche.maine.edu/CHY431/Evolve2.html

The statement you query:
"Proteins that show a high degree of similarity in their primary
structure are most likely to have a similar function".

is correct in that it heehaws enough to let you back away from it in the
cases of the well known exceptions.

For example, the crystallins in your eye are very similar in primary
structure to the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme, but are completely
unrelated in function. In general terms, your statement is true, but
there are so many exceptions that it doesn't have a huge amount of
predictive power. However the "most likely" gets you out of it.

All of this just emphasises how important the primary / secondary /
tertiary/ quaternary structure viewpoints are to understanding proteins,
and how sequence alone is not enough.

Cheers,
Leon