[Catalist] Chemistry: Proteins

Craig Lucanus lucanus at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 24 10:31:10 AEST 2016

>From the syllabus..

"The Protein Data Bank (PDB) houses an international repository of
structural data of proteins. The information is accessed and contributed to
by scientists worldwide. The function of a protein is closely linked to its
structure."

and..

"the tertiary structure of a protein (the overall three-dimensional shape)
is a result of folding due to interactions between the side chains of the
α-amino acid in the polypeptide, including disulfide bridges, hydrogen
bonding, dipole-dipole interactions, dispersion forces and ionic
interactions"

and..

"enzymes are protein molecules which are biological catalysts and can be
used on an industrial scale to produce chemicals that would otherwise
require high pressure or temperature conditions to achieve an economically
viable rate, including fermentation to produce ethanol versus hydrolysis of
ethene"

On the back of these statements, the only ones I can find that may pertain
to this, such a sneaky and nuanced question requiring the knowledge that
Leon has brought to bear upon it, is a possible ATAR exam question?

How long is a piece of string?

Craig.